Vet Client Services Supervisor
Job No: 525108
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
Department: 28319000 - VM-SAH CUSTOMER SERVICE
Veterinary Client Services Supervisor
This position is of primary importance to the Small Animal Hospital in that the individual will be in contact with a large percentage of clients coming through our emergency and critical care service. The supervisor oversees a staff of over 13 people for an area that is open 24/7. It requires a composed, sincere individual capable of handling a wide variety of situations even under the most stressful conditions. The individual should be highly motivated and well-organized. The individual must possess good public relations skills, excellent communication skills, a strong financial background, and initiative to problem solve, active listening skills, confidence in handling customer interactions, relationship building, projecting a professional; image, good interpersonal skills.
Supervision of Staff and Administrative Duties
This position must be able to promote a positive culture and attitude among staff and develop a team that is willing to work with varies services and a wide variety of personalities, The person must be able to promote teamwork within the hospital to meet the needs of our clients and patients and to effectively support team members. The individual should strive to build cohesive relationships among staff, students, and clients by creating a culture of dialogue and inviting thoughts and ideas to be discussed. The individual must be able to effectively communicate with their team clear expectations and hold people accountable for their actions while maintaining a Just Culture by being committed to a fair and consistent approach for managing risk and accountability. Acknowledge accomplishments of all members of the patient care team and seek to provide guidance and to provide and receive feedback for improved work performance. The individual works on a team and ensures all areas of client services are covered.
Examples of work include but are not limited to the following:
- Responsible for recruiting, selecting, orienting, and training employees
- Ensure staff meet and maintain minimum standards for technical knowledge and patient care through regular training, assessments, and continuing education
- Serves as a subject-matter expert and resource in regards to hospital operations, customer service, and financial responsibility.
- Serves as a mentor to staff by demonstrating positive work habits.
- Identifies conflicts in the workplace and seeks assistance in resolution in order to create effective working relationships.
- Coaches staff to create a culture of strong performance and high productivity.
- Clearly communicates with team members to ensure consistent understanding of new ideas, changes in protocol, policies, and impending changes.
- Builds positive relationships across the hospital and administration to facilitate an environment of team work.
- Implements process improvement initiatives.
- Address any items in IDinc that are submitted which include client concerns and Administrative subsidies
- Serves as back up to manager and/or co-supervisor when one is absent
- Approve refunds in accordance with the Financial policy
- Service Operations and Scheduling
- Establish work priorities; schedule staff to ensure adequate coverage while minimizing downtime and overtime, and maintain an efficient workflow
- Assess current workflows and schedules with the other supervisors and determine where staff are needed to ensure adequate coverage
- Ensure work is completed in a proper, accurate, professional, and timely manner while providing optimal patient care.
- Distribute information to staff that is pertinent to job performance and hospital operations
- Delegate work to employees, track progress and provide constructive feedback throughout the year.
- Ensures staff understand and adhere to established protocols
- Partners with team leaders in developing new programs, digital content, recruitment programs or other efforts to retain and train staff.
- Preventing conflict where possible and resolving it when it does arise
- Performance Reviews
- Meet with each staff member on a regular basis for a 1:1 meeting to discuss their growth, development, and needs
- Conduct quarterly performance reviews and submit in myufl.
- Submit an annual review utilizing quarterly reviews and goals
- Motivate team members and create strategies to boost productivity and efficiency while maintaining high quality customer service, positive work environment, and an emphasis on the core teaching mission.
- Document work related behaviors to be used for performance appraisals, superior accomplishment awards, performance improvement plans, or disciplinary action
- Maintain records on employee performance and training, including CE attendance and accomplishments
- Employee Time:
- Validate and approve employees' time in PeopleSoft
- Approves leave requests while ensuring service is adequately staffed
- Maintain employee schedules to allow for lunches and breaks.
- Create, maintain, and participate in schedule for staff; making sure all shifts are covered including after hour
Customer Service and Client Interaction
- Create a Just Culture
- Respond to behaviors in a fair and just manner
- Design safe and achievable systems
- Using objective criteria when investigating incidents
- Recognize the difference between Human Error, At-Risk Behavior, and Reckless behavior
This position oversees an area that acts as the face of the hospital for clients and first point of contact, often being the first and last person they will come in contact with during the appointment process. This position is responsible for the overall client experience and should continually look for creative ways to have a positive impact on clients. Effective, professional communication is critical for success in this role as this position interacts directly with clients, staff, and faculty on a daily basis and a qualified candidate must be able to communicate with people in a variety of roles using both written and oral mediums. As the primary person to handle client issues that staff are unable to handle, this person must be comfortable deescalating issues that arise, troubleshooting various questions and using contacts within the hospital for assistance when needed.
Promote among staff patient safety and quality care by ensuring each patient is treated as if it was their own cherished pet and owners as a member of their family. Strive to be an effective and empathetic communicator with our clients, with the intent to inspire their trust in our team's ability to provide compassionate, high quality veterinary care for their beloved family member. Promote the Patient Care Team concept by respectfully communicating with all members of the team who are involved with the patient and recognize the value of a cohesive team.
Encourage a positive work environment by being coolheaded/even-keeled during any situation and maintain a positive attitude. Foster a welcoming environment by addressing people in a warm and cordial manner. Seek out information in regards issues and concerns versus having information relayed to you.
Candidates should demonstrate the following skills:
Training and Development
- Ability to clearly communicate expectations for clients regarding their visit and act as a liaison between them and the respective service(s) during the course of the appointment.
- Understanding of basic medical terminology specific to their primary service(s) - ability to use this knowledge to educate clients about various services including clinical trials available within the SAH.
- Ability to address and resolve client issues including appropriate escalation when needed.
- Ability to effectively discuss sensitive issues using empathy and compassion while adhering to appropriate policies and procedures (examples include: large sums of money, pets with serious illnesses, euthanasia, etc.).
- Highly organized with the ability to effectively manage a busy workflow while maintaining a very high level of accuracy.
- Calm demeanor despite potentially stressful situations involving clients and other staff with heightened emotions.
- Model appropriate stress management in a tumultuous environment
- Develop professional relationships with the patient care team to aid in providing outstanding customer service to all clients
Create a safe and welcoming learning environment that promotes further education and development of staff and students by fostering positivity, respect and trust. Encourage staff to be proactive in their thinking and develop leadership skills among the team. Ensure staff are cross trained to assist in all areas needed for functionality of client services including patient care duties such as animal restraint or processing labwork.
Examples of work include but are not limited to the following:
- Coach team members on achieving goals and developing necessary skills that get results
- Develop, implement, and maintain standardized training program for staff
- Establish minimum standards for knowledge and skills
- Develop, implement, and maintain assessment testing for staff to measure and benchmark skills and knowledge and determine areas that need more education and training.
- Assist students, interns, residents, staff, and faculty in learning various communication techniques, protocols, and procedures
- Create a teaching environment that promotes further education and development of staff and students in a safe and welcoming environment.
- Assist staff in learning various techniques, protocols, and procedures.
- Create Standard Operating Procedures for the use of new procedures
- Works with specialized services to ensure staff have are exposed to various services and have a better understanding of hospital operations
- Determine expectations for staff and how to measure success
- Responsible for writing and updating SOPS as needed for client services
- Responsible for reviewing/updating training protocols
- Personal professional development
- Build on leadership and customer service knowledge platform by completing at least 10 hours of CE in these areas each year.
Responsible to ensure we have uncompromising levels of cleanliness throughout the area while creating a safe and accident free environment. The overall aesthetics of the hospital area is a direct reflection on the high quality care we provide so it is important the areas are kept in pristine condition.
Examples of work that the supervisor must ensure are completed on a daily basis include but are not limited to the following:
- Practice appropriate infection control
- Maintain and keep all areas cleaned and organized.
- Clean exam rooms in between patients
- Maintain equipment within area and report broken or malfunctioning equipment to the appropriate manager
- Check for expiration date and stock supplies when needed.
- Submit work orders as needed to the appropriate hospital personnel and notify the manager of the submission
- Sweep and mop floors
- Disinfect and clean equipment
- Take out trash and recyclables
This position is considered an essential personnel employee and is part of the hospital Essential Staff Team. The individual will be expected to work Holidays on a rotating schedule, some weekends as well as other days in order to adequately staff the hospital.
$23.00 - $28.00 per hour, pay based on experience
Associate's degree and two years of relevant experience; or a high school diploma or equivalent and four years of relevant experience. Appropriate college coursework or vocational/technical training may substitute an equivalent rate for the required experience.
Preferred Qualifications: Knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy, and terminology.
Knowledge of the equipment and materials used and their availability and applications. Ability to operate a computer and utilize office suite software such as excel
Experience with budgets and staff scheduling
Demonstrate consistent professional conduct and meticulous attention to detail.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as interpersonal skills with patients, staff, and other members of the patient care team
Critical thinking skills and a positive attitude
Excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as interpersonal skills with patients, staff, and other members of the patient care team. Ability to effectively communicate with employees of various levels and responsibilities
Able to work in a team environment and collaborate with a variety of personnel in a positive manner
Ability to effectively maintain a working environment while in stressful situations
Critical thinking skills and a positive attitude; Able to think independently and demonstrate good problem solving skills
Special Instructions to Applicants:
In order to be considered, you must upload your cover letter and resume.
This is a time-limited position.
This position is eligible for veteran's preference. If you are claiming veteran's preference, please upload a copy of your DD 214 Member Copy 4 with your application for consideration. See our Veteran's Preference Page for more specific information.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.
This position has been reposted. Previous applicants are still under consideration and need not reapply.
Health Assessment Required:
Yes; Must be able to lift a minimum of 40 lbs, bend, kneel, pull, push, twist and stand for an extended period of time.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Health Assessment Required: $Health
Applications Close: $Closes
To apply, visit https://explore.jobs.ufl.edu/en-us/job/525108/vet-client-services-supervisor
The University is committed to non-discrimination with respect to race, creed, color, religion, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital status, national origin, political opinions or affiliations, genetic information and veteran status in all aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotions, transfers, discipline, terminations, wage and salary administration, benefits, and training.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency jeid-bf356ea4cec196468083a6237ce70db7