Improving the health of our community in all we do
Northeast Georgia Health System (NGHS)is a non-profit community health system on a mission of improving the health of our community in all we do. Our team cares for more than 1 million people across the region through four hospitals and a variety of outpatient locations. Northeast Georgia Medical Center (NGMC) has campuses in Gainesville, Braselton, Winder and Dahlonega - with a total of more than 700 beds and more than 1,100 medical staff members representing more than 50 specialties. NGHS also encompasses Northeast Georgia Physicians Group, a multi-specialty group with more than 65 locations, and The Heart Center of Northeast Georgia Medical Center, a cardiology practice with more than 15 locations.
This Unit Secretary is Part Time Nights.
Schedule: 7:00pm - 7:00am, Days of the week vary with every other weekend rotation.
Location: NGMC Gainesville Neuro/Renal N4G Unit
N4G is a 32-bed nursing unit with all private rooms, four rooms equipped to be utilized as negative pressure rooms and 2 rooms equipped with bariatric ceiling lifts. As an Orthopedic Neurosurgery unit, care is rendered to a variety of patients including but not limited to:
- Elective orthopedic joint replacement surgeries (hip, knee, shoulder)
- Neurosurgical surgeries (neck, back, brain)
- Orthopedic trauma in times of high census
- Medical overflow in times of high census
Patients receive physical, emotional, spiritual and psychosocial support for themselves and their families.
N4G collaborates with a Joints in Motion program which provides comprehensive pre and post op education for the total joint population.Job Summary:
Provides clerical support for a nursing unit(s). Prepares and maintains records for the unit and serves as a facilitator for all communications. The unit secretary functions under the direction of the charge nurse. This position will communicate with patients in the adolescent, adult, and geriatric age groups. Employee performs duties in accordance with population specific guidelines and adhere to National Patient Safety Goals as outlines in policy and procedures.Minimum Qualifications:
We're looking for someone who:
- High School Diploma or GED
- Must have Basic Life Support Certification through the American Heart Association
- Previous clerical or administrative preferred but not required
Essential Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Admits mistakes and shortcomings
- Communicates Effectively
- Takes Initiative
- Promotes Teamwork
- Adapts to Change
- Answers the telephone according to procedure, utilizing effective communication skills & exemplary customer service skills: screens and refers all calls to ensure accurate communication, refers all calls to leave orders for patient care to licensed staff, and relays messages/requests accurately to the appropriate individual (s).
- Promptly answers patient intercom and responds by directing patient's request to appropriate staff, filling requests as defined by Unit routine, and follows up with patient to be sure request was resolved.
- Notifies Dietary department of any changes to diet.
- "Performs emergency procedures (i.e., CODE, fire or disaster codes) according to policy."
- Ensure an adequate supply of assembles charts are ready for new admissions.
- Maintains patient's chart by thinning charts as needed, replenishing forms as needed, and placing reports in appropriate chart location.
- Enters request for needed supplies/services, places transport courier printouts in designated area (i.e. SPD, HIMs, blood pickup, ambulance services, etc.).
- Initiates the following actions to complete the paperwork when a patient is discharged: discharges the patient in the Epic system, completes housekeeping D/C sheets (on applicable units), and ensures completeness of D/C'd patient's chart before sending to HIMs.
- "Makes recommendations to Unit Manager for purchase of new equipment or supplies as appropriate."
- Completes daily/weekly requisitions to accurately reflect the unit's needs.
- Places supplies from storeroom in designated areas, as appropriate.
- Daily records refrigerator temperature on appropriate sheet.
- Notifies appropriate departments of needed repairs and follows through on requests.
- Maintains printers by changing toner, replenishing paper and reporting problems to Information Systems Department.
- Exhibits flexibility in scheduling to meet dept staffing needs.
- Completes unit specific annual competency assessment requirements Success Factors & annual competency checklist) within specified timelines.
- Support performance improvement activities participating in dept monitors (data collection) & identifying in writing, one PI suggestion annually.
- Frequently lifting up to 20 lbs
- Frequently carrying up to 20 lbs
- Occasionally kneeling/stooping/bending
- Occasionally standing/walking
- Occasionally pushing/pulling
Since first opening its doors in Gainesville in 1951, Northeast Georgia Medical Center has added hospital campuses in Braselton, Barrow and Dahlonega - and become Georgia's most awarded hospital. Some recognitions include being named to these lists:
America's 50 Best Hospitals- Healthgrades
100 Top Hospitals- Truven Health Analytics
100 Hospitals with Great Heart Programs- Beckers Hospital Review
America's Top Quality Providers- Carechex
Atlanta's Top 150 Workplaces- Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Healthcare's Most Wired Hospitals and Health Systems- Hospitals & Health Networks magazine
NGMC has also been recognized in recent years as Georgia's #1 Hospital for overall hospital care, overall surgical care, heart care, orthopedic surgery, women's care and more.
This job has expired.