The Managing Director, Commercial Underwriting supports and manages/co manages a team of C&I and/or CRE Underwriters, and their activities related to underwriting credit risk associated with underwriting and risk rating commercial loans, as well as other various risk mitigating related activities related to new business originations, renewals, and major modification requests. The role is tasked to effectively partner with the Line of Business to operate within risk tolerance standards with onboarding new client relationships and providing a high-quality underwriting product.
This leadership position in conjunction with the Segment Executives and the Director of Commercial Underwriting, drives the direction, administration, and coordination of credit risk activities for the Bank in accordance with the policies, goals and objectives established by the Corporate Bank President, Credit Risk Management, the Chief Credit Officer and Board of Directors. This position drives the ongoing refinement of SNB's underwriting and risk management programs across the C&I, CRE and select Vertical & Support Segments. The Managing Director oversees comprehensive processes for assessing and identifying risks, and maintaining compliance with internal policies, procedures, and banking regulations. The Managing Director is a recognized leader in all dimensions of credit risk management and engages senior leadership responsible for the credit and data quality for new business origination for the Corporate Bank's C&I, CRE and select Vertical & Support Segments.
- Review underwriting documents, financial statements, appraisal and environmental reviews, other credit investigations including the conduct of OFAC screening of all new clients during the loan origination process. As the Managing Director, Commercial Underwriting, you will provide oversight to the Underwriters on all due diligence requirements, which are to be performed with the goal of being informative, evaluative and to provide critical support for the credit decision making process.
- Assist in developing credit analysis methodologies that facilitate a streamlined, efficient, and consistent credit process standard.
- Establish and manage formal and informal methods of communications and sharing of information to support all lending origination activity.
- Work independently and manage teams of Underwriters supporting commercial business development, retainage, and management efforts through the timely production of informative and evaluative credit documents and underwriting materials.
- Build high performing teams, attract, retain, and develop the best talent; differentiate performance; address sub-par performance; embrace performance management.
- Assist in various projects and analyses pertaining to credit quality, credit policies and procedures. Working directly with the Commercial Lending Group team and credit leadership identifying opportunities to improve the credit process and sharing best practices.
- Effectively manage and prudently dual risk rate in a manner that appropriately balances client needs with Bank policies, procedure, and established guidelines. Utilize professional judgement to provide additional commentary and support for final rating.
- Provide feedback regarding observed training needs, portfolio and risk management practices and modifications of credit policies and procedures as may be appropriate.
- Ensure compliance together with Credit/Risk and the lending teams with all regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Assist with the Credit Risk Measurement and Monitoring Frameworks: Models and Systems - Drive system implementation in the credit risk space (e.g., Moody's Credit Lens, Moody's Risk Calc, CMM, Dual Risk Rating etc.) by coordinating with the Risk team and providing feedback and design inputs and engaging both IT and the user population. Act as liaison to Credit and Credit Risk Management in ensuring that sound credit risk measurement and monitoring frameworks/models are developed and implemented throughout the group in a standardized manner. Participate in Moody's user groups.
- Act as a consultant to business lines regarding credit issues, processes, and procedures.
- Ensure compliance with all regulations, policies, and procedures with new originations.
This job has expired.
- 15 years of experience at financial institutions and/or rating agencies with responsibilities in the areas of underwriting, financial modeling, credit risk data, analytics, and management.
- Combines project management experience with a solid understanding of credit risk gained through prior experience either at a rating agency or within a credit review role at a bank
- Proven track record of strong leadership and senior leadership relationship building required. Ability to manage a team interacting across multiple lending teams and departments
- Candidates with advanced degrees (Bachelor's and/or Master's) preferred. Candidates with some combination of coursework and experience, or else extensive related professional experience, are eligible for consideration. Formal credit training required.
- Thorough understanding of the evolving practices for the management of Credit Risk and related regulatory requirements including CECL, PD and LGD as well as evolving regulatory guidelines in this space