The University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics department of Capital Management an E & A Senior Project Manager, reporting to the Director, New Constructionfor health care construction projects. The Senior Project Manager is responsible for driving and managing the capital project development process from planning/programming through occupancy and enhancing the UIHC experience though the built environment. The position will provide leadership and strategically manage risk, monitor finances and ensure each phase of work is conducted to meet the schedule, budget and quality standards. The primary focus of the position is to support the Director of New Construction by providing project leadership and acting as the voice of the Owner on large scale health care construction projects. This will include coordinating stakeholder involvement for internal functions such as safety and security, information technology and other support services as well as medical providers and operational planning. Additionally, this position will help manage the work of ancillary consultants such as furniture, medical equipment and transition planners,
The position requires the ability to guide, direct, and coordinate the work of multiple activities at the same time while keeping the Director of New Construction apprised of all activities via regular meetings and reporting. The position requires excellent organizational skills, the ability to plan projects, prioritize work and meet deadlines. The ideal candidate will have a hands-on approach who enjoys actively managing projects and participating on a strong team, is an analytical thinker who is self-motivated, flexible, and decisive, with the ability to adapt to change and competing demands. They must be a dynamic individual who is client-oriented while keeping the company's interests in mind
The Capital Management Senior Project Manager all phases of project development and completion as well as the design and/or construction process of capital improvement projects. The Senior Project manager assures projects are designed in compliance with UI, state and federal standards and programmatic requirements and completed on schedule, within budget and in compliance with a contractually defined scope and quality standards.
Key areas of responsibility include, budget and schedule management, design management, contract management, communication, coordination, leadership, and financial responsibility.
Types of Projects: Capital Construction projects which are complex and long-range with significant institutional impact, with tight schedules and budgets. Projects may be multi-phased with multiple contracts, an extensive stake holder list, multiple disciplines, and specialty consultants. Specifically, this position will focus on large scale new construction initiates.
Design Management: Coordinate the design process with Design and Construction by assuring the design intent and project requirements are met and adhere to healthcare design standards, assure the necessary stakeholders are included in the process, review design and construction documents during design development and at the construction document stage before documents go out for bid. Supervise specialty consultants selected for the project. These may include medical equipment planning, procurement and implementation, transition, activation, and other operational consultants.
Communication and Coordination: Lead thorough and effective project coordination among internal and external participants. Identifies, interfaces with and gathers input from appropriate stakeholders. Actively participates in the project decision-making process and ensures team members are aware of any changes. Continually refers to the Project Charter to ensure project is progressing as planned and that the best interests of the institution are maintained. Monitors project to ensure scope, time and budget requirements are met.
Budget and Schedule Management: Assure project budget and schedule expectations are communicated to stake holders. Coordinate schedule with other projects on the master project schedule document, assure all project phases are accounted for and remain on schedule. Maintain budget for equipment, furniture, transition and occupancy phases of the project. Assure invoices for any work are processed appropriately. The schedule and budget are the responsibility of Design & Construction, the Capital Management Senior Project Manager is responsible for tracking the progression of schedule and maintenance of the budget and reporting any issues or potential gaps in the desired outcome of each.
Percent of Time:
Leadership/Human Resources: May provide direction, assignments, feedback, coaching and counseling to assure outcomes are achieved. May provide functional and/or administrative supervision of staff. Perform essential responsibilities of a Project Manager. Train and mentor team members in appropriate project management skills
100% Benefits Highlights:
The University of Iowa offers a generous benefits package, including 24 days paid vacation per year to start and paid sick leave. Complete information regarding the full benefits package may be viewed at https://hr.uiowa.edu/benefits
Percent of Time:
- Regular salaried position located in Iowa City, Iowa
- Fringe benefit package including paid vacation; sick leave; health, dental, life and disability insurance options; and generous employer contributions into retirement plans
- For more information about Why Iowa?, click here
UIHC, Iowa City, IA Pay Grade:
5B Projected Salary Range:
$85,000 to $100,000 Staff Type:
Professional & Scientific Type of Position:
Regular Required Qualifications - Please note: Candidates without directly health care construction project management experience will not be considered.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Architecture, Construction Management or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 3-5 Years of directly related experience in health care capital Construction project management which is directly related to complex project delivery.
- 3-5 Years of large health care project experience (over $50M).
- Demonstrated experience and expertise in planning and programming complex capital construction projects
- Knowledge and understanding of communication techniques and relationship building skills that develop the ability to work with a variety of individuals and groups in a constructive and collaborative manner
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) and problem-solving skills
- Proficient in computer software applications
- Ability to work with a diverse group of staff at all levels of an organization
- Demonstrated experience and expertise planning and programming complex healthcare facilities
- Master's degree in an appropriate field which demonstrates an understanding of Health Care design construction means and methods.
- Knowledge of University of Iowa Policies and Procedures
- Prior experience with alternative delivery models such as Construction Manager at Risk
- All Applications must be submitted through the electronic process. Please attach a resume and cover letter as part of the application process which demonstrates your experience with the functions listed above. As part of the selection process, applicants may be required to submit a list of projects they have worked on and explain their role in those projects. In order to be considered for an interview, applicants must upload a resume and cover letter and mark them as a "Relevant File" to the submission.
- Job openings are posted for a minimum of 14 calendar days and may be removed from posting and filled any time after the original posting period has ended. Successful candidates will be subject to criminal background and credential background checks. Up to 5 professional references will be requested at a later step in the recruitment process. For questions, contact Carmela Lovelace at email@example.com.
- Classification Title: E&A Senior Project Manager
- Appointment Type: Professional and Scientific
- Schedule: Full-time
- Work Modality Options: On Campus
This job has expired.
- Organization: Healthcare
- Contact Name: Carmela Lovelace
- Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org