GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT: Summarize the nature and level of work performed.Provides on-site daily supervision, ensuring there is necessary staffing coverage. Monitors operations to ensure timely and efficient service. Reports and resolves issues appropriately. Plans and organizes the schedules of the Inpatient Phlebotomy staff:Develops absenteeism back-up procedure and maintains adequate back-up schedule, filling in absences in person if no other personnel are available.Assists Manager with implementation of the hospital's FMLA, sick and vacation policies; giving priority to department needs.Monitors unscheduled absences and tardiness in accordance with hospital policies and procedures and reports issues to Manager. Assists Manager with planning and organizing the duties and responsibilities of the Inpatient Phlebotomy staff. Implements procedures in accordance with hospital policies and procedures and reports issues of non-compliance to the Manager. Assists Manager with Media Lab by reviewing yearly and ensuring staff sign off once a year. Assists Manager with hand hygiene audits and ensuring the phlebotomists are completing them monthly. Communicates hospital and department policies, procedures, and other appropriate information to the phlebotomy staff. Holds regularly scheduled meetings and provides staff and Manager with documentation for ease of reference. Works to promote and improve staff communication, teamwork and employee relations. Notifies Manager of issues requiring attention. Notifies the Manager, in capacity as phlebotomy liaison to other hospital departments, of all reported problems or new procedure requests. Assists with problem resolution and implementation of new procedures as directed. Responsible for maintaining and monitoring workload statistics or other required documentation for Inpatient Services.Provides monthly volume reports for each floor/pod.Monitors staff productivity and provides feedback.Makes suggestions for workflow improvements and works with staff as necessary to improve productivity. Responsible for knowledge of Joint Commission standards relating to phlebotomy services.Responsible for monitoring so that all standards are met and maintained. Notifies Manager of issues and makes every attempt to be present during inspections.Works with the staff to prepare and maintain documentation and other information required by regulatory agencies. Responsible for ordering and maintaining an appropriate level of inventory and supplies. Delegates as appropriate. Monitors usage and reports on issues. Keeps up to date on new procedures. Participates in developing and evaluating new methods, equipment, and/or procedures as necessary. Responsible for arranging in-service education to make the staff aware of new procedures and other hospital departmental needs. Assists Manager with the hiring, counseling, corrective actions and performance improvement plans, following established laboratory and hospital guidelines. Required to document as needed. Assists Manager with the performance evaluation process, following established laboratory and hospital guidelines. Responsible for providing the Manager with timely and accurate annual performance review drafts for the inpatient phlebotomy staff. Responsible for timely and accurate payroll functions. Provides monthly overtime and/or temporary staff usage reports to Manager. Responsible for ensuring that all phlebotomists complete annual in-services, safety training, competency assessment, continuing education and other forms of documentation as mandated by hospital policies. Responsible for providing timely and accurate documentation of all HR standards to Manager for personnel files. Assists Manager with development, implementation and training of any new technology. Is responsible to be aware of Joint Commission National Patient Safety Goals and to compile with BWH hospital and laboratory policies and procedures. Follows all safety and infection control guidelines and policies. Performs all other duties as required.Qualifications
Provides overall supervision of the Inpatient Phlebotomy staff under the guidance of the Manager. Oversees the work of the Phlebotomy Team making certain all areas under his/her responsibility are covered and all policies and procedures are adhered to. Performs all functions of a phlebotomist.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Indicate key areas of responsibility, major job duties, special projects and key objectives for this position. These items should be evaluated throughout the year and included in the written annual evaluation.
1. Phlebotomist with ASCP certification or eligible. B.S. preferred or A.S. Degree in medical laboratory science/biology with equivalent experience.
2. Minimum of five years phlebotomy experience including newborn, adults, and elderly.
3. One to two years of concurrent supervisory experience preferred.SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
1. Must possess interpersonal skills to interact effectively with physicians, nurses, laboratory personnel, departmental supervisors/head nurses, administrators and phlebotomy staff.
2. Must be able to perform as a senior team member providing direction and guidance to less experienced phlebotomists.
3. Knowledge of the anatomy and physiology of veins and neonates' heels.
4. Knowledge and practice of proper aseptic technique necessary to prevent injury to self and patients.
5. Knowledge to select appropriate tube for test and order of tube draw.
6. Standing and walking required for 75% of the time and some physical effort to transport supplies and specimens.
7. Must have competency in computer software tools, including word-processing, spreadsheets, and databases.
8. Must have the ability to promote a spirit of professionalism, excellence in customer service, and excellence in performance among the staff.WORKING CONDITIONS:
1. Stressful environment. Extremely busy department.
2. Must be able to navigate all areas of the hospital.
3. Hazardous exposure to infectious bloods and body fluids.
Very busy and fast pace work environment. Constantly changing work environment.SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Immediate supervision of approximately 30 FTEs.EEO Statement
Brigham and Women's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.