If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.
The University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.
With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful mission to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.
The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.
The department of Health Information Management has an exciting opportunity for a Full Time Sr. Outpatient Coder to work at the UHealth Campus. The Senior Outpatient Coder ensures that diagnostic and procedure codes are assigned accurately to surgery and observation encounters based upon documentation within the electronic medical record while maintaining compliance with established rules and regulations.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities as necessary.Minimum Qualifications
- Participates in coding meetings and coding education programs, and provides feedback.
- Takes initiative to assist others and shares knowledge with coding staff, and caregivers.
- Responds to customer requests and initiates queries with physicians to obtain or clarify diagnoses and procedures.
- Assigns accurate diagnostic and procedural codes and performs accurate APC assignment.
- Reviews and discharges dispositions entered and corrects when necessary.
- Enters physician identification number and procedure data correctly in the medical record abstracting system.
- Maintains coding timeframes within acceptable guidelines by ensuring all work items assigned to the coding queues and worklists are processed in a timely manner.
- Adheres to University and unit-level policies and procedures and safeguards University assets.
Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes:
- High School diploma or equivalent
- RHIT or RHIA Certification or Certified Coding Professional
- Minimum 3 years of relevant experience
Any relevant education, certifications and/or work experience may be considered.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting procedures and principles.
- Skill in completing assignments accurately and with attention to detail.
- Ability to process and handle confidential information with discretion.
- Ability to work independently and/or in a collaborative environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form.
The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, tuition remission and more.
UHealth-University of Miami Health System, South Florida's only university-based health system, provides leading-edge patient care powered by the ground breaking research and medical education at the Miller School of Medicine. As an academic medical center, we are proud to serve South Florida, Latin America and the Caribbean. Our physicians represent more than 100 specialties and sub-specialties, and have more than one million patient encounters each year. Our tradition of excellence has earned worldwide recognition for outstanding teaching, research and patient care. We're the challenge you've been looking for.
Patient safety is a top priority. As a result, during the Influenza ("the flu") season (September through April), the University Of Miami Miller School Of Medicine requires all employees who provide ongoing services to patients, work in a location (all Hospitals and clinics) where patient care is provided, or work in patient care or clinical care areas, to have an annual influenza vaccination. Failure to meet this requirement will result in rescinding or termination of employment.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:
Full timeEmployee Type:
This job has expired.