GENERAL SUMMARY/OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
Maintains and assists in management of medicalequipment by installing, calibrating, repairing
and inspecting medical equipment and solving the mostcomplex technical problems in the field.
Performs routine functions up to and including thediagnosis and repair of the most complex level
of technical problems. Coordinates evaluations andinstallations of equipment. Assists in
development of procedures. Identifies system problems.Teaches clinical and technical staff basic
repair, trouble-shooting and design.
PRINCIPAL DUTIESAND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Note: The terms medical equipment and medical devicemay be either or all of electronic, mechanical and computer-based technologies for use inclinical or research applications.
1. Following departmental Medical Equipment ManagementPlan (MEMP) procedures,
inspects newly acquired medical devices and systemsfor safety and function and attaches and assigns appropriate control numbers and labels toclinical devices. Acquires thenecessary information for accurate database inventoryentry.
2. Conducts complete performance assurance andelectrical safety testing. Performs
preventive/scheduled maintenance on medical devices asrequired. Assists in the
development of testing protocols.
3. Responds to medical equipment problems in clinicalor research areas; evaluates,
troubleshoots and corrects problems up to andincluding those requiring novel solutions
and expert diagnostic skills, involving unfamiliarequipment, and having the highest level of acuity and complexity. Determines the need toremove and/or replace malfunctioningmedical devices from service and implementsaccordingly.
4. Performs repairs and calibrations with the highestdegree of complexity or requiring
expert diagnostic and repair skills.
5. Participates in installations and updates ofmedical devices when required, including
those requiring software revision. Provides technicalfeedback for device evaluations.
6. Makes periodic rounds of assigned clinical areas toassess operation of medical devices. Notes trends and develops and implements solutions, validatedby the Team Leader, toaddress recurring problems.
7. Instructs clinical, research, and technical staffand other support personnel on the
operation, safe use, care and handling, and usermaintenance procedures for medical
8. Instructs department and other equipment technicalstaff on testing, calibration,
preventive maintenance, trouble-shooting and repair ofmedical equipment and basic
design and theory of the same. Serve as a technicalresource to BMETs for difficult
9. Using a computer database, sets example indocumentation of work performed in terms of quality, thoroughness, accuracy, and timeliness.Documents and maintains accurateand current inventory records of all replacement andrepair parts.
10. Attends and satisfactorily completes advancedtraining courses on operating, testing,
maintaining, and repairing medical devices.Disseminates this newly acquired
knowledge to team members, department, and clinicalusers as appropriate. Leverages
this knowledge to improve our procedures and systemsfor managing and maintaining
11. May assign, direct, and inspect the tasks of BMETsand coordinate implementation of projects.
12. Using data indicators, intuition, and/or otherresources, identifies system, safety and
quality problems, suggests solutions, and providesinformation that leads to change in
department and on teams.
13. Under supervision of an engineer or departmentleadership, may assist in and/or conduct investigations of clinical incidents involving medicalequipment.
14. Serves on departmental and hospital committees.
15. Performs on-call function (schedule rotation)providing in-house repairs and assistance as needed.
16. Performs other related duties asrequired.
Posted about 1 hour ago
Posted about 1 hour ago
Posted 23 minutes ago
Subscribe to job alerts and add your resume to our resume database for employers!