Working very independently, performs non-routine, highly specialized experimental procedures.
Participates in the design and modification of research protocols. Composes and may present sections of
research reports and manuscripts. Performs advanced data analysis using advanced statistical techniques.
Coordinates lab activities and undertakes quality assurance programs. Supervises lab staff.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Participate in the design and modification of research protocols.
- Develop research methodologies within the parameters of experimental protocols and research objectives.
- Independently perform routine experimental procedures such mouse and human cell isolation.
- Independently perform mouse treatment such as nasal, oral, intraperitoneal and subcutaneous injections
- Perform fecal collection and fecal DNA extraction
- Oversee mouse breeding and manages mouse colonies.
- Write and oversee animal research protocols.
- Oversee animal transfers.
- Guide research staff on IACUC policies and SOPs.
- Interface with IACUC and Brigham and Women's Hospital CCM staff.
- Plan and participate in laboratory inspections and regulatory meetings.
- Coordinate lab activities, including quality assurance.
- Oversee controlled substances and laboratory safety.
- Maintenance of laboratory equipment, certification and repair.
- Oversee laboratory reagents and stocking.
- Supervise entry level staff in the lab.
- All other duties, as assigned.
- Responsible for supervising staff including: hiring, firing, evaluating and disciplining.
- Will orient and train new staff members.
- BS in biological/physical science
- Requires 3-5 years of directly related progressively more responsible experience.
- High degree of computer literacy.
- Sound analytical and organizational skills.
- Requires good oral and written communication skills.
- Must be able to logically and effectively structure tasks and set priorities.
- Ability to identify potential problems and troubleshoot solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze data statistically and to logically present it.
- Must have a broad knowledge of scientific principles, biological structures, and laboratory techniques.
- Must have sound interpersonal skills and the ability to supervise others.
BWH is an Affirmative Action Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, age, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, military service, genetic information, and/or other status protected under law. We will ensure that all individuals with a disability are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.