Job Location: Hershey, PA
Reporting to the Sr. Manager in the Process Technology Development R&D, the Sr. Research Engineer will be responsible for the process development research related to the Better-For-You initiative and Sugar reduction from benchtop to pilot plant to commercialization.
In addition to working with R&D team members, considerable interaction is expected with Marketing, Product Development, Sensory, Manufacturing, Legal, Engineering, Quality, and other Supply Chain departments. The Senior Research Scientist will manage relationships internally and externally with business partners, suppliers, research institutes, universities, and other service providers to deliver required research results. The Senior Research Engineer assumes a leadership role in complex projects and guides them through Hershey Innovation process with a cross-functional team. He or she will participate in project design and methodology, test ideas through experimentation, and determine next steps through problem solving.
This individual will take the initiative to secure, from all available sources, pertinent advice, ideas, and information having a bearing upon the project. Hands-on skills involving running laboratory and pilot plant equipment is required. Experience in leading a cross-functional technology and/or product development project to commercialization is desired. Presentation of the project results will be expected in both written and oral forms.
Project Leadership for Technology Development - Lead (60%) Assist (5%) Supervise (5%)
- Actively seek new technologies and innovation opportunities
- Lead chocolate process technology development workstreams for both ingredient development and finished products from bench top to pilot to commercial scale which will focus on BFY chocolate process development
- Champion assigned projects through Hershey Innovation process by owning process specifications that deliver quality product at commercialization
- Test ideas through experimental design, collect and analyze data using analytical process tools to provide recommendations
- Bring technical rigor to troubleshoot technical issues
- Determine next steps through problem solving
- Collaborate with cross-functional groups to ideate, identify, develop solutions, and commercialize new technologies
- Have a good understanding of current processing technologies across snacks and confectionery industry and continue to explore new and breakthrough technologies
- Mentor and guide junior scientists and engineers within R&D
- Provide leadership and instruction to technicians
Process development; lab & pilot-plant equipment operation
- Operate or direct the operation of lab or pilot-plant equipment in the performance of tests or experiments. Lead the development of new processes through research and experimentation to deliver project results. Hands-on work involving running lab, pilot plant and factory equipment.
Research design/data analysis/report writing/ presentation
- Design and execute experiments, analyze data, and provide conclusions using an appropriate statistical tool. Prepare all project reports as required. Make presentations of significant results to drive business decisions.
Minimum knowledge, skills and abilities required to successfully perform major duties/responsibilities:
- Sound technical knowledge capable of applying knowledge to research project
- Excellent communication, written and critical thinking skills
- Lead process development, operating pilot plant and/or lab equipment
- Strong project management and organizational skills
- Demonstrated success in leading multiple and simultaneous projects.
- Possess strong computer skills (basic knowledge of Word, Access, Excel, Exchange)
- Ability to work in a team environment and independently in a flexible work environment with changing priorities
- Strong mathematical skills
- Experience in leading a cross-functional research and/or product development project.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
- B.S. degree in Chemical Engineering, Food Engineering, Food Science, Chemistry, or related field required
- 7+ years (with B.S. food/engineering degree) or 5+ years (with M.S.) in R&D environment in process development, process validation, and/or food engineering
- Intern and prior research project work will be considered
- Confectionary experience in chocolate and sweets processing preferred
The Hershey Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The policy of The Hershey Company is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's race, color, gender, age, national origin, religion, citizenship status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other categories protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
The Hershey Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority/Female/Disabled/Protected Veterans