At AstraZeneca, we work together to deliver innovative medicines to patients across global boundaries. We make an impact and find solutions to challenges. We do this with integrity, even in the most difficult situations, because we are committed to doing the right thing.
The Digital Health Oncology R&D Human-centered AI and Machine Learning Team strives to transform the patient experience and clinical trial process. We will do so by deploying digital solutions to clinical trials and in the real world to decrease patient burden. The approach the team takes will incorporate clinical trial data, Real World Evidence (RWE) data, clinical free text, medical imaging, Patient Reported Outcomes (PROs), and device data to define new digital approaches to addressing the pressing problems across the AZ R&D portfolio.
The team is looking for a Senior Director of Data Science to specialize in development of innovative machine learning methods passionate about multi-modal datasets including clinical trial data, RWE, imaging data, and other biomedical data sources to address patient burden. This role will have a heavy emphasis on clinical trial design, optimization and incorporation of machine learning into clinical trial process and supporting functions.
This Data Scientist will also work closely with subject matter experts and partners to develop innovative new machine learning enabled process innovation. Applicants should have a foundation in statistics, experience with machine learning in a production environment, demonstrated success leading a team of data scientists in industry and experience maintaining a portfolio of machine-learning enabled products.
Examples of projects the team works on include machine learning models for developing digital biomarkers, digital therapeutics, computer vision diagnostics and clinical decision support tools, approaches to quantitatively analyze wearable data, linking of medical imaging data with 'omics and longitudinal outcomes to identify and/or validate new drug targets, and much more!
- Provides sophisticated data science expertise to AstraZeneca projects and recommends data science solutions.
- Delivers innovative data science solutions to AstraZeneca projects, appropriately presenting to non-technical collaborators.
- Design review with non-technical partners and interpretation of sophisticated business needs into tangible technical solutions.
- Lead regular code reviews with teams to ensure quality delivery.
- Works within established frameworks to deliver a variety of tasks that support projects in meeting their objectives.
- Independently keeps own knowledge up to date and learns from senior team members, proposing appropriate training courses for personal development.
- Reviews working practices and ensures non-compliant processes are raised.
- Line management and career mentor of data scientists, represents team at internal and external venues and ensures both development of internal resources and recruitment of external talent.
- Collaborate in a multidisciplinary environment with world leading clinicians, data scientists, biological experts, statisticians and IT professionals.
- A master's degree with 5 plus years of proven experience
- Deep understanding of drug development and clinical trial process and data (all phases)
- Demonstrated an outstanding track-record of delivering a portfolio in a highly regulated clinical setting
- Practical software development skills in standard data science tools: Python, Agile, Code versioning (bitbucket/git), UNIX skills, familiarity working in cloud environment (AWS preferred)
- End-to-end experience leading collaborative data science projects in an industry setting
- ML Ops experience: model tracking, model governance, multiple models in different production contexts
- Experience developing machine learning first products including optimization, time-series analysis, forecasting, graph data modeling and analytics and natural language processing
- Knowledge of range of mathematical and statistical modeling techniques and strive to continue to learn and develop these skills
- Communication, business analysis, and consultancy; ability to present compelling cases to partners and operate dynamically to identify solutions
- Ph.D. degree in rigorous quantitative science (such as mathematics, computer science, engineering) or M.B.A. with analytics experience in industry.
- 10+ years of demonstrated ability leading analytics teams within the pharmaceutical industry or tech sector.
- Experience within the pharmaceutical industry or tech sector with extensive knowledge of clinical trial process (all phases) and associated regulatory activities.
- Sophisticated machine learning models: transformer-based NLP models, reinforcement learning, ML-based optimization, GNNs, innovative time-series & forecasting models
At AstraZeneca we're dedicated to being an excellent Place to Work. Where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and unleash your ambitious spirit. There's no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients and society. An inclusive culture that champions diversity and collaboration, and always committed to lifelong learning, growth and development. We're on an exciting journey to pioneer the future of healthcare.So, what's next?
Where can I find out more?
- Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can't wait to hear from you.
- Are you ready to bring new insights and fresh thinking to the table? Brilliant! We have one seat available, and we hope it's yours.
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en