The University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics department of Patient Financial Services is seeking a Revenue Cycle Representative (RCR) that will work in the Emergency Department (ED) as an entry-level financial position in the healthcare industry. RCRs assigned to the ED have a unique perspective working directly with patients and their families when they visit the Emergency Department. ED RCRs must have an exceptional attention to detail and demonstrated ability to prioritize, multi-task & quickly change focus. ED RCRS will have the opportunity to work multiple workstations and adhere to scheduled hours in this fast-paced 24/7, team environment - this would include transitioning to multiple workstations during the ED shift including ED check in, ED check out, registration completion on WOW (workstations on wheels) and clinical POD areas. Due to the nature of the Emergency Department, in order to best serve our patients, this position will require frequent movement, including walking and standing 66% of the time.
ED RCRs will be expected to provide exceptional customer service to our external customers: patients, patient families, insurance contacts, etc.; as well as internal customers (Nurses, Technicians, Physicians, and other UIHC staff). You will support our "Service Excellence" standards to all our customer groups, utilize tools and processes to make independent decisions and you will maintain integrity and treat internal and external customers respectfully, including respecting patient rights in regard to privacy, dignity, and confidentiality.
- Respond to patient/visitors/family requests and directs to the appropriate areas in a timely manner.
- Verify insurance benefits to determine if insurance will reimburse UIHC for services provided and ensure that insurance data entered is accurate and complete.
- Determine insurance company and financial status classification; enter information accurately and completely into the Billing system and be expected to maintain a high-level of accuracy to meet productivity and quality requirements.
- Confirm co-pay amount and collect from patient as appropriate for the visit and practice safe cash handling procedures to ensure batches reconcile at end of shift.
- Determine priority of work and work collaboratively with clinical staff in processing of paperwork, lab requests, patient requests, etc.
- Prioritize patient visits based on based on admission status and total stay time, according to protocols)
- Complete Medicare Secondary payer questionnaire to correctly identify primary payer for accurate claim submission and compliance regulations. Identify and determine referral and prior authorization requirements.
- Contact appropriate internal resources to coordinate financial assistance activity, as needed. Assist other clinical departments with inquiries regarding various aspects of patients' accounts.
- Answer multiple incoming telephone lines and direct to appropriate parties.
- Independently determine appropriate forms and patient signatures that are required and facilitate the securing of patient signatures on forms such as: HIPAA Consent,
Revenue Cycle Representative Department:
Patient Financial Services (Emergency Department) Pay Grade:
2B Salary Range: $
40,000- $60,000 An additional 5% added to base salary for high volume and $5,400 for applicable evening and/or weekend differential while in this role Staff Type:
Professional & Scientific Percent of Time: 100% onsite Location:
University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (UIHC) Potential working hours for this position flexing between 5:00 PM - 7:30 AM
with a schedule indicated below:
Position Qualifications: Education Required
- 12-14 hours Monday, Friday, Saturday
- Potential 4 hours flexing one day each week
- This position includes an on-call schedule 1-2 days per month and be required to work 3-4 holidays per year
- Bachelor's degree; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 6 months or more of related customer service experience in a professional, financial or health care related environment.
- Strong attention to detail and proven ability to gather and analyze data and keep accurate records.
- Proficiency with computer software applications, i.e. Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint) or comparable programs and an ability to quickly learn and apply new systems knowledge.
- Demonstrated ability to handle complex and ambiguous situations with minimal supervision.
- Self-motivated with initiative to seek out additional responsibilities, tasks, and projects.
- Effective communication skills (written and verbal), active listening skills and the ability to maintain professionalism while handling difficult situations with callers or customers.
- Successful history collaborating in a fast-paced team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to follow policies and procedures while escalating issues as needed.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain or improve established productivity and quality requirements.
- Knowledge of Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) laws.
- Knowledge of healthcare billing (healthcare revenue cycle); insurance, and/or federal and state assistance programs.
- Familiarity with medical terminology.
- Experience identifying opportunities for improvement and making recommendations and suggestions.
- Experience with multiple technology platforms such as GE, Cirius ACD, and/or Epic.
- Ability to drive results and foster accountability throughout the team and organization.
- Maintain current awareness of industry trends and continually strive for improvement with both technical and professional skills.
In order to be considered for an interview, applicants must upload the following documents and mark them as a "Relevant File" to the submission:
- (optional) Cover Letter
Job openings are posted for a minimum of 14 calendar days and may be removed from posting and filled any time after the original posting period has ended. Applications will be accepted until 11:59 PM on the date of closing.
Successful candidates will be subject to a criminal background check and credential/education verification. Up to 5 professional references will be requested at a later step in the recruitment process.
For additional questions, please contact Veronica Clark at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Classification Title: Revenue Cycle Representative
- Appointment Type: Professional and Scientific
- Schedule: Full-time
- Work Modality Options: On Campus
- Pay Level: 2B
- Starting Salary Minimum: 40,000.00
- Starting Salary Maximum: 60,000.00
This job has expired.
- Organization: Healthcare
- Contact Name: Veronica Clark
- Contact Email: email@example.com