McLean Hospital is a comprehensive psychiatric hospital committed to providing easy access to superior quality, cost-effective mental health services in the Boston area, Massachusetts and beyond. Since 1811, McLean Hospital has been a world leader in the treatment of mental illness and chemical dependency, research into the cause of mental illness and the training of generations of mental health care providers. McLean's multidisciplinary programs treat a broad range of psychiatric illnesses across the full continuum of care.
Community Hospital Psychiatric Clinicians will complete psychiatric evaluations and level of care assessments, short term therapeutic services and provide recommendations for patients who present to ambulatory clinic/primary care practice of a contracted hospital per the specifications of each individual professional service agreement. This position requires a strong clinical emphasis in assessment and evaluation across the community hospital continuum of care. He/she should have proven clinical experience relevant to individualized patient needs at each level of care.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES Clinical Responsibilities
- Provides clinical services and coordinates the treatment of patients at each level of care including, comprehensive psychiatric evaluation, psychosocial assessments, screening, consultation to other clinicians, brief focused treatment, and referrals as appropriate.
- Clinician will perform individual assessment and evaluation to determine most appropriate level of care. This includes communicating with all collateral contacts - family, friends, outside treatment providers and any referral agency.
- Clinician will make arrangements in accordance with treatment plan,
disposition or referral. This includes securing inpatient bed, transferring from or to an emergency service, referring to partial hospitalization or to an outpatient provider.
- Clinician will interface with payers, obtain necessary authorization from managed care organizations through the completion of timely and effective reviews and necessary authorizations. Clinician will also communicate to accepting facility when applicable.
- Clinician documents in the health record by the completion of treatment plans, patient encounter forms, appropriate progress notes, clinical summaries, and other documentation in accordance with hospital policies.
- Upon completing assessment, the results and recommendations must be reviewed with the
attending physician and interdisciplinary team before transferring or discharging the patient.
- Clinician serves as liaison to other health care professionals on the interdisciplinary staff
- Clinician maintains awareness of medicolegal/risk management issues and follows all protocols, policies and procedures of the designated level of care (emergency, inpatient and ambulatory)
- Clinician is expected to participate in program and hospital administrative activities (e.g., staff meetings, CQI, hospital committees, etc.)
- Clinician is responsible for completing in a timely manner all documentation including patient log, clinical evaluation, treatment plans, patient encounter forms, progress notes, clinical summaries and other documentation in accordance with hospital policies.
- Clinician is responsible for making sure all pertinent information is completed properly, copied and accompanies if transferred to another level of care (i.e. to inpatient psychiatric care)
- Participates in activities and meetings in the community as appropriate to the position.
- Other duties as assigned.
- All McLean team members are expected to consistently demonstrate our values of integrity, compassion, respect, diversity, teamwork, excellence and innovation in their work activities and interactions.
- Psychology: Ph.D., Psy.D or EdD
- Social Work: MSW
- Nursing: MSN in Psychiatric Mental Health
- Other: MA, M.Ed, in related field (select sites ONLY; See Addendum)
Massachusetts Independent Clinical License
- Psychology: Licensed Psychologist
- Social Work: LICSW
- Nursing: PCNS or CNP in Psychiatric Mental Health
- Other : MA, M.Ed, in related field i.e. LMHC
- Minimum of two years post degree experience in conducting comprehensive psychiatric evaluations. Experience in crisis and/or emergency clinical settings, consultation liaison or integrated care preferred.
- Experience in a managed care environment and the capacity to work collaboratively with
managed care organizations.
- Experience working collaboratively with multidisciplinary staff within the context of the
hospital and the community at large.
- Broad range of clinical skills including psychiatric assessment, capacity to formulate a case
and develop a therapeutic alliance.
- Ability to observe and analyze behaviors.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively within a rapidly changing system of care.
- Capacity to function independently in clinical decision-making.
Primary site: ambulatory clinic/primary care practices of contracted hospital.
Required to complete electronic medical records training, and demonstrate 80% accuracy on competency test within 30 days of hire.EEO Statement
It is the policy of McLean Hospital to affirmatively provide equal opportunity to all qualified applicants for employment and existing employees without regard to their race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, ancestry, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy or a condition related to pregnancy including, but not limited to, lactation or the need to express breast milk for a nursing child, or any other basis that would be in violation of any applicable law or regulation.