This position is a remote role but will require occasional travel to Lansing, MI
The Principal Architect serves the company as an advisor on best practices and is responsible for designing and effectively implementing strategies and solutions in alignment with IT strategy and guidelines. The Principal Architect develops actionable blueprints, principles, models, designs, standards and guidelines for assigned projects/initiatives to ensure information technology architecture is consistent, usable, secure and adds value to the business. The position facilitates design and implementation of flexible, scalable and cost-effective solutions and provides technical guidance to subordinate group. The position is assigned to projects/initiatives of large size, complexity and risk and is relied upon to consult, negotiate and build consensus with external and internal partners.
EMPLOYMENT QUALIFICATIONS: EDUCATION OR EQUIVALENT EXPERIENCE:
- Accountable for adhering to corporate architecture standards, ensuring technology standards and best practices are maintained across the organization and contributing to corporate architecture strategy-setting.
- Leads governance processes of new technologies and solutions to ensure consistent technology life cycle management.
- Participates in formulating solution estimates and work planning including determining appropriate task sequencing and identification of technical skill sets required.
- Builds consensus around principles of infrastructure architecture and interprets and clarifies these principles.
- Serves as infrastructure design subject matter expert to business areas, project teams and vendors to apply and execute appropriate use of technology solutions and lead efforts to examine technology vision, opportunities and challenges.
- Participates in the evaluation, selection and implementation of technology solutions including providing detailed analysis of pros and cons and build vs buy options.
- Maintains operational, architectural and design documentation including procedures, task lists, and blue prints.
- Evaluates strengths and flaws in infrastructure design including performance, quality, availability, simplicity of design, security and total cost of ownership.
- Facilitates project handoffs including preparing documentation, educating and supporting to ensure smooth transitions.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with IT and business area partners and provides consultation to the business teams.
- Troubleshoots, recommends and executes action plans for issue resolution.
- Selects and designs tools that allow reuse of design components and patterns between projects.
- Continually works to enhance breadth and depth of knowledge and experience. Benchmarks technology strategies and architectures. Monitors and anticipates trends and investigates organizational objectives and needs. Prepares bench marking reports and presentations.
- Promotes implementation of new technology, solutions and methods to improve business processes, efficiency, effectiveness and value delivered to customers.
- Develops actual working solutions or prototypes based on their own designs and resolves any issues that arise.
- Provides technical guidance to subordinate group.
- Establishes and maintains vendor relationships to review and evaluate designs and controls and influence changes in future product releases.
- Stays updated on current technology trends and industry best practices.
- Provides technical leadership and works effectively with different teams including Product Managers, Project Managers, and Engineers.
- Fosters a healthy, collaborative and productive scrum team culture
- Works with other leads in a project setting to define and execute a software architecture that is sustainable, flexible and scalable
- Leads key initiative design, highly capable to complete tasks both independently with minimal guidance and leading a team technically
- Exchanges information clearly and precisely, in verbal or written form, by sharing ideas, reporting facts and other information, responding to questions and employing active listening techniques.
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related area required. Master's preferred. Continuous learning, as defined by the Company's learning philosophy, is required. Azure or AWS Solution Architect certification or progress toward certification is highly preferred and encouraged.
Prior development and scrum/agile experience. Past experience with RDBMS (Oracle 10g/11g, MS SQL 2005/2008), including database design, developing stored procedures and functions, and performance tuning. Working experiences with No-SQL databases such as MongoDB, Azure CosmosDB, AWS DynamoDB are preferred. EXPERIENCE:
Seven to ten (7 to 10) years' experience in the implementation and maintenance of enterprise level systems. Experience in a large complex enterprise environment, preferably in Healthcare, Insurance or similarly government-regulated environment. SKILLS/KNOWLEDGE/ABILITIES (SKA) REQUIRED:
ADDITIONAL SKILLS/KNOWELDGE/ABILITIES (SKA) REQUIRED for Application:
- Strong communication and written skills. Ability to work out differences of opinions and publish scalable and quality system design based on specification.
- Strong knowledge of OOAD and multi-tier architectures, including MVC/MVP/MVVM design patterns.
- Strong knowledge with enterprise software development techniques such as SOA / EDA based design, Microservices using Web API, Queue based processing using any messaging technologies such as RabbitMQ, MSMQ etc.
- Ability to develop and maintain large scale, high performing, high transactional systems
- Ability to diagram and document designs and requirements
- Knowledge of Security protocols and the design, integration and maintenance of these protocols.
- Ability to manage, assess and negotiate with vendors.
- Ability to mentor and lend guidance to team as needed.
- Expert knowledge of architectural design.
- Demonstrated ability to work in teams and capture ideas into strategy and standards
- Ability to execute governance of cloud standards and strategy
- Ability to set strategic architectural direction.
- Ability to identify architecture components for reuse.
- A clear understanding of the architecture standards.
- Ability to communicate effectively with Leadership, Business Partners and IT Infrastructure team
- Knowledge of IT and IT's priorities, strategies, and current capabilities.
- Knowledge of technology and the current technical environment.
- Ability to breakdown the requirements into projects and determine timelines and dependencies with the other domains/ projects.
- Understanding of ongoing and planned projects and their inter-dependencies/ timelines.
- Strong analytical, problem solving and planning skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Flexibility to adapt readily to changing business needs.
- Enthusiastic, can-do attitude with the drive to learn and improve
- Recent working knowledge for design, configuration and management of one or more enterprise service bus (ESB) technologies; ex. JBOSS, Websphere, Weblogic. JBOSS Preferred.
- Knowledge of software development best practices such as dependency injection and test-driven development to create high-quality, flexible, scalable applications that can be easily configured for different client needs.
Work is performed both in a home office and corporate office and in the field with minimal hazards.
The qualifications listed above are intended to represent the minimum education, experience, skills, knowledge and ability levels associated with performing the duties and responsibilities contained in this job description.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Diversity is valued, and we will not tolerate discrimination or harassment in any form. Candidates for the position stated above are hired on an \"at will\" basis. Nothing herein is intended to create a contract.
This job has expired.