GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
Brigham and Women's Hospital is dedicated to:
• serving the needs of our local and global community
• providing the highest quality health care to patients and their families
• expanding the boundaries of medicine through research
• educating the next generation of health care professional
Brigham and Women's Hospital is committed to putting every Patient First. Every employee plays a role in providing a positive impact on patients and the care they receive at Brigham and Women's Hospital. Your work will be distinguished by the delivery of high-quality and safe patient care, respect and dignity in all interactions with patients, families and colleagues and by customer service excellence.
All employees are expected to embrace this commitment and demonstrate behavioral competencies in the following areas:
People: Focus on serving the community through collaboration and respect
Self Management: Accountability, professionalism and commitment to growth and development
Organization: A commitment to quality, service and exceptional performance
Meeting these expectations is key to the success of your department and the organization.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Actual job duties may vary by department (see Addendum B for more detail)
- Perform entry level administrative skills under general supervision.
- Answer and transfer telephone calls.
- Schedule and register patients for appointments/procedures, confirm appointments/procedures, prepare for patient visit by providing patient with all necessary information and completing all necessary tasks.
- Receive patient at arrival, verify and obtain all necessary information, and ensure forms are completed.
- Ensure all billing/fiscal information is completed and submitted after visit, including collection and daily reconciliation of any co-payments.
- Assist with training and orienting staff as needed.
- Provide cross coverage as needed.
- Assist with special projects as directed.- Follow HIPAA guidelines for the management of patient privacy and confidentiality.
- Other duties, as assigned.
Level of education required:
- Minimum of a high school diploma or GED.
Work experience required:
- Minimum six months applicable work experience required.
- Some additional training in office systems or other post high school education preferred.
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
Technical skills required:
- Knowledge of practice operations and standards.
- Understanding of procedures including filing, copying, scanning, printing, and faxing.
- Phone skills: Ability to use phone system (answer and screen calls, put on hold), answer routine questions and give routine information.
- Verbal skills: Ability to interpret information as appropriate, answer routine questions in the most professional manner and communicate in a professional, courteous, clear and concise manner.
- Organization Skills: Ability to manage work processes in a neat and orderly way and to sort and alphabetize. Ability to manage multiple tasks effectively, follow established protocols, and work within systems.
- Writing Skills: Ability to correspond and communicate with others clearly and effectively in writing (via e-mail, memo or interoffice note) and to take complete and accurate messages.
-System Skills: Ability to type and enter data at an entry level. Entry level understanding of applicable systems.
- Understanding of the appropriate use and importance of related forms.
- Basic understanding and use of medical terminology.
- Basic comprehension of insurance types and referral process.
- Basic comprehension of registration and fiscal information.
- Knowledgeable and compliant with all hospital, State and Federal requirements (where applicable to job performance), including policy and procedures with The Joint Commission and HIPAA.
BWH Behavioral Competencies (required of all employees)
1. People: Focus on serving the community through collaboration and respect
Definition: Maintain an environment where individuals value and respect differences in all situations. Stand firm against intolerance and bias to create a welcoming environment and respect all individuals regardless of race, gender identity, ethnicity, language, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental ability, religion, socio-economic status, or national origin.
a) Work effectively with others who have diverse perspectives, talents, roles, backgrounds and/or styles
b) Contribute to a positive team environment where differences are respected, supported and are free from stereotyping and offensive comments
c) Be professional when approached about behaviors that might be perceived as disrespectful
Definition: The ability to effectively articulate and receive information in a clear, concise and timely manner.
a) Practice active listening skills
b) Foster and maintain an environment that respects open dialogue, differences of opinion, as well as diverse communication styles
c) Ensure that information is shared in a clear, accurate, and timely manner using the appropriate communication method for your audience
d) Express oneself clearly and professionally in your verbal, non-verbal, written, and electronic communication
Building Collaborative Relationships
Definition: Identifying opportunities and taking action to build relationships between one's area and other areas, teams, departments, units, or organizations to help achieve organizational goals.
a) Take initiative to support others and build productive relationships that will lead to a cohesive workplace
b) Interact effectively with other team members, departments and customers to accomplish organizational goals
Definition: Understand how one's own work affects the organization as a whole and demonstrate a commitment to the organizational goals.
a) Support and respect BWH's mission, vision, values and history
b) Understand and recognize how your individual role and department impacts the organization
2. Self Management: Accountability, professionalism and commitment to growth and development
Definition: Demonstrate adaptability and openness to organizational changes needed to improve effectiveness and goals.
a) Support and positively participate in organizational and/or job specific changes
b) Initiate appropriate action when change is needed
c) Be flexible and open to new ideas
d) Adapt to shifting priorities
Definition: Predisposed to pursue learning opportunities even outside own comfort zone, one stays abreast of new tools and methods, rising to add value and build challenge in current assignments.
a)Demonstrate openness to learning from successes and failures
b)Recognize and participate in learning opportunities
c) Seek and share best practices
Definition: Practice respect for self and others; and adhere to BWH standards, policies, and procedures at all times.
a) Adhere to BWH's Code of Conduct, Guide to Ethical Standards, policies and procedures
b) Align behavior with the organizational mission and values
c) Practice respect in accordance to the BWH standards
d) Demonstrate responsibility, reliability, and trustworthiness
3. Organization: A commitment to quality, service and exceptional performance
Quality and Safety Focus
Definition: Responsible for meeting standards of performance or outcomes in a safe manner while avoiding risks.
a) Align job performance with quality and safety standards (e.g. The Joint Commission, BWH and department specific standards)
b) Adhere to established policies and procedures
c) Take action to prevent errors
d) Identify and report adverse events, errors and incidents
Efficiency and Performance Improvement
Definition: Systematic approach to improve performance by eliminating waste, non-value added activities and variability in processes.
a) Participate in process and performance improvement by identifying, analyzing, and enhancing existing processes to achieve better outcomes
b) Maximize available resources to achieve performance measures; reduce waste, rework, and work-arounds consistent with one's role
Definition: Able to gather appropriate data and diagnose the cause of the problem before taking action; and if necessary develop alternative courses of action.
a) Recognize actual and potential problems and take appropriate action towards a solution
b) Offer assistance, as needed, when a potential problem situation is observed
c) Use good judgment to keep manager informed of problems or issues, following department practice
Definition: Focusing one's efforts towards anticipating, meeting and exceeding the expressed and unexpressed needs or expectations of internal and external customers.
Apply service standards consistently to present a positive image of BWH to colleagues, health providers, patients, families, and visitors:
a) Engage with positive greetings and active listening
b) Empathize by expressing understanding
c) Educate throughout the information exchange
d) Enlist thoughts and ideas from others
4. General/Administrative Support: (required of all Administrative Support employees)
Definition: Identify and seek information needed to clarify a situation. Ask questions to discover the facts.
a) Identify specific information needed to clarify a situation or to make a decision
b) Probe skillfully to get at the facts
Greet patients upon their arrival to the department / suites, performs demographic verification, copay collection, cash reconciliation at day's end, batch management throughout day, prints labels, ensures patients have all new patient paperwork necessary for visit, ensures previsit form is accurate and ensures accurate new patient paperwork for service line is given to patient, directs patients to suite / cast room / ambulatory radiology as needed, works as concierge (greeter). Front desk staff alerts patients when referral waivers are needed by reviewing the Department Appointment Report (DAR) in EPIC daily to ensures referral waivers are signed at time of check-in. Acts as a Cash Drawer Supervisor and submits daily deposits through Epic.
Uses ACD phone system to field calls from patients in an expedient and professional manner to schedule new and follow up appts for the department, Schedules appointments based on established physician protocols and books sequentially or notes exceptions in scheduling comments. Verifies demographics, insurance and reason for appointment/laterality at time of the appointment. Indicates if x-ray is needed and/or out of plaster/splint status in Appointment Notes field. Refers patients to Patient Service Center (PSC) or departmental designee as warranted.
Reviews the Department Appointment Report (DAR) each morning to ensure all appointments were properly checked out for the previous day or marked as No Shows. Schedules follow-up appointments and radiology (i.e. MRI CT) exams.
Must be able to learn and acquire proficiency in; EPIC, Percipio, Microsoft Office, fax machine, telephone, copy machine and other Partners supported applications / office equipment as needed to complete all job duties.
Must have the ability to function effectively in a fast-paced and challenging environment with a large surgical practice involved in academic work, research, and patient care.
Must have excellent communication skills; verbal and written
Must have a positive outlook and demonstrate sound judgment.
Must be able to maintain strict confidentiality of patients' medical information and records.
HOSPITAL WIDE RESPONSIBILITIES:
Works within legal, regulatory, accreditation and ethical practice standards relevant to the position and as established by BWH/Partners; follows safe practices required for the position; complies with appropriate BWH and Partners policies and procedures; fulfills any training required by BWH and/or Partners, as appropriate; brings potential matters of non-compliance to the attention of the supervisor or other appropriate hospital staff.
Brigham and Women's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
Health and Safety
Posted 8 minutes ago
Health and Safety
Posted 8 minutes ago
Health and Safety
Posted 7 minutes ago