The University of Iowa Facilities Management - Building Operations and Maintenance is seeking a highly motivated candidate for our Plumber position. Under general supervision, apply knowledge and skill at the journey level to install and repair piping, fixtures, appliances, laboratory equipment, and apparatus related to gas, air, steam, water, drainage systems, and heating and cooling systems.
This position has a unique opportunity to work collaboratively with many groups on campus and to be a part of a team that focuses on growing skills and developing employees. The University of Iowa offers a generous benefits package to support the community of employees that supports university excellence. We are always there, always the best by living up to our core values of stewardship, innovation, community, safety, and pride. Join our team today!
Duties to Include:
- Install and repair sinks, commodes, bathtubs, water heaters and softeners, garbage disposals, sprinkler systems, traps, valves, pumps, meters, coils, laboratory equipment, and other related piping and equipment
- Test, install, and maintain water distribution piping and control equipment, fire hydrants, sanitary and storm sewer systems, gas piping, and related distribution systems equipment
- Draw layouts and read and interpret blueprints and drawings
- Use technology as required in fulfilment of position (e.g., email, Employee Self Service, work order system)
The information contained herein is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities required of individuals performing this job. Position Location:
Iowa City, Iowa Shift
: Monday through Friday, 8:00am to 4:30pm overtime as required Department
: Facilities Management Starting pay rate
*A higher starting pay rate may be requested based on exceptional qualifications. About Facilities Management:
Facilities Management (FM) is a service unit of approximately 500 employees who work behind the scenes, 24 hours a day, serving the University of Iowa as stewards for our downtown Iowa City campus and Oakdale campus in Coralville. FM staff coordinate campus master planning, manage design and construction, and maintain and clean the buildings and grounds.Minimum Eligibility Requirements
- Four years of experience in the trade, including apprenticeship
- Valid driver's license and ability to meet UI Driving Policy
- Experience performing preventative and predictive maintenance of building systems equipment
- Ability to use equipment and tools effectively to perform essential job functions
- Ability to move for extended periods of time
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions
- Demonstrate basic computer skills
- Ability to work with and around a diverse culture
- Good customer interaction skills
- Ability to work in a team setting
- Ability to communicate effectively
To be considered for an interview, applicants must upload a resume and cover letter and mark them as a "Relevant File" to the submission.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of 10 for merit calendar days and may be removed from posting and filled any time after the original posting period has ended.
Successful candidates will be subject to a criminal background check including fingerprinting and driver's license verification.
Up to 5 professional references will be requested at a later step in the recruitment process.
For additional questions, please contact Michelle Hayes at email@example.com or 319-467-3093
- Classification Title: Plumber
- Appointment Type: Merit
- Schedule: Full-time
- Organization: Finance & Operations (General)
- Contact Name: Michelle Hayes
- Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org