FAMILIES, SCHOOLS & NEIGHBORHO (IN-FSNE-IUINA)
The IU Student Success Corps program, out of the IUPUI Office of Community Engagement, is a K-12 tutoring, mentoring, college and career exploration, and family engagement program.
The tutor/mentor position supports elementary, middle, and high school students academically and socio-emotionally off-campus in schools and community centers in Indianapolis. This part-time position is for team players that want to positively impact the lives of local youth.
- Provides academic (Math, English Language Arts, Science, Social Studies) and socioemotional (mentoring) support to K-12 students in schools and community centers.
- Provides college and career readiness support to students which can include resume review, mock-interviews, panel discussions, and college fairs at high schools and community events.
- Tracks data on each session with students in data system daily paying attention to details by entering descriptive notes and observations into the data management system.
- Stays busy, engaged, and positively contributing to the IU SSC team, school, or class community.
- Maintains professional attire, communication, and behaviors as a representative of the IUPUI Office of Community Engagement.
- Attends all scheduled meetings and monthly professional development sessions.
- Responds to emails, text messages, evaluations, and other communications within 24 hours of receipt.
- Always maintains confidentiality of student data, behaviors, and information.
- Takes the initiative to build relationships with students.
- Catalogs notes from tutoring/mentoring sessions, engaging with a payroll system, and completing other tasks with minimal supervision.
- Performs other duties as assigned (I.e., staffing outreach tables on and off campus, data input, translating documents.)
- High school diploma or equivalent (such as HSED or GED).
- Experience working in K-12 education.
- Experience working with youth.
- Experience tutoring/mentoring k-12 students.
- Experience with urban school settings, K-12 academic content and curriculum, youth development or programming, systems of support, or community development.
PreferredWorking Conditions / Demands
- Ability to work collaboratively with K-12 students, educators, family members and staff of diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Ability to work a set schedule each week.
- Ability to commit to a 16-week academic semester.
- Ability to be patient, empathetic, and willing to try new ways of engaging and supporting students' growth and learning.
- Must be able to communicate promptly with remote supervisors via text, email, and other methods of communication.
- Strong problem solving and communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain excellent working relationships with others including K-12 students, school staff, and IUPUI staff.
The person in this role must be able to perform the essential functions with or without an accomodation.
Travel is required to schools and community centers.Additional Information
IU Student Success Corps Values
- Equity of opportunity.
- A more educated citizenry.
- Support students' college and career readiness.
- Equip students to learn strategies independently.
- Support families as they support students.
Starting at $13.00 per hour based on experience. Work Hours
7:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday with flexibility for scheduling. Benefits Overview
For full-time staff employees, Indiana University offers a wide array of benefits including:
- Multiple plan options for medical insurance
- Dental insurance
- Health Savings Account with generous IU contribution
- Life insurance, LTD, and AD&D options
- Base retirement plan contribution from IU, subject to vesting
- Additional supplemental retirement plan options
- Tuition benefit for IU classes
- 10 paid holidays per year
- Generous Paid Time Off
- Paid Parental Leave
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Learn more about our benefits by reviewing our online Benefits Brochure.Job Classification
Career Level: Part Time Employee
Job Function: Part Time Employee
Job Family: Part Time Employee
Click here to learn more about Indiana University's Job Framework.Posting Disclaimer
This posting is scheduled to close at 11:59 pm EST on the advertised Close Date. This posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University, but will remain open for a minimum of 5 business days. To guarantee full consideration, please submit your application within 5 business days of the Posted Date.
If you wish to include a cover letter, you may include it with your resume when uploading attachments.Equal Employment Opportunity
Indiana University is an equal employment and affirmative action employer and a provider of ADA services. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment based on individual qualifications. Indiana University prohibits discrimination based on age, ethnicity, color, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, disability status or protected veteran status. Indiana University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its educational programs and activities, including employment and admission, as required by Title IX. Questions or complaints regarding Title IX may be referred to the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights or the university Title IX Coordinator. See Indiana University's Notice of Non-Discrimination here which includes contact information.Campus Safety and Security
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report, containing policy statements, crime and fire statistics for all Indiana University campuses, is available online. You may also request a physical copy by emailing IU Public Safety at email@example.com or by visiting IUPD.Contact Us
This job has expired.