Posted in Medical and Nursing
Performs clinical testing, quality control, and maintenance in assigned departments, independently following established guidelines and predetermined criteria. Identifies problems that may adversely affect test performance and/or results and uses knowledge and skills to troubleshoot and resolve them. Consults with co-workers, supervisors, managers, or Pathologist when appropriate.
Associate degree in a science-related field with a certificate of completion from a Medical Laboratory Technician program from an accredited institution. Military education and experience will be considered providing that the applicant has completed the full laboratory training course of 52 weeks and has at least one year's experience in a military hospital. A minimum of six months clinical internship is preferred. Those with military education will need at least one year's experience in a military hospital. Certified as a Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT) from the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) or equivalent. May be hired into this position if he/she has completed the requirements for registration but has not successfully completed the MLT exam; however, the exam must be successfully completed within 6 months subsequent to hiring
Using a variety of procedures and test methodology, independently performs clinical laboratory analysis on biological specimens and provides technical expertise and information to our clients. Identifies problems that may adversely affect test performance and/or results and uses knowledge, critical thinking skills, and judgment to troubleshoot and resolve them. Provides clinical leadership and assistance to technical and support staff. Consults with director, supervisors, and pathologists when appropriate.
Bachelor's degree in a science-related field such as a biological, chemical, or medical laboratory science program from an accredited institution. 6 months - 1-year clinical laboratory experience, which may include a clinical internship, is preferred. Certified as a Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS) or a categorical/specialist in an appropriate discipline from American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) or equivalent. For HEW certification must present proof of certification. Since HEW is no longer active, Primary Source Verification cannot be performed. (Human Resources will attempt verification and document results). May be hired if he/she has completed the requirement for certification but has not yet successfully completed the exam; however, the exam must be successfully completed within 6 months subsequent to date of hire.
1. Adheres to the principles of caring and expected behaviors outlined in MercyOne Medical Center's Model of Caring and Trinity Health's Code of Conduct, fostering a climate where all customers are treated in a manner consistent with MercyOne Medical Center's Mission and Values.
2. Maintains a working knowledge of applicable Federal, State and local laws and regulations, Trinity Health's Organizational Integrity Program, Standards of Conduct, as well as other policies and procedures in order to ensure adherence in a manner that reflects honest, ethical and professional behavior.
3. Performs other duties consistent with purpose of job as directed.
4. Independently performs clinical testing, to include waived, moderate and high complexity testing, to provide accurate and timely clinical diagnostic information to healthcare providers.
5. Monitors the collection, transportation, storage, identification and processing of specimens to ensure specimen integrity prior to testing. Takes appropriate action if acceptable criteria are not met. Recognizes deviation from expected results, analyzes and corrects problems using scientific principles and laboratory policies.
6. Performs preventative maintenance and basic troubleshooting of instrumentation and equipment. Communicates problems and potential problems to appropriate staff members.
7. Analyzes quality control data, makes judgments concerning the results and takes appropriate action to maintain test accuracy and precision.
8. Works independently and organizes work to meet established guidelines and records, such as turn-around times, while maintaining patient confidentiality.
9. Adheres to laboratory policies and procedures, personnel policies, and administrative policies and procedures. Also performs work activities in a manner than ensure compliance with regulatory and accreditation requirements (JC, FDA).
10. Observes safety and infection control policies and procedures, informs management of any hazards, which may exist and assist in corrective action.
11. Assists in the instruction and orientation of new UCL personnel.
12. Maintain flexibility with laboratory scheduling to help fulfill staffing requirements.
13. Performs phlebotomy and clerical duties as required.
14. Interacts with hospital staff, physicians and clients in a professional manner.
15. Actively participates in department meetings and continuing education.
16. Assists in maintaining an adequate level of supplies in the department.
17. Participates in policy and procedure review.
18. Serves on UCL committees as requested.
19. Performs other related tasks as assigned.
20. Dyersville staff takes call as scheduled.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Accountability - Holds self and others accountable for behaviors and results. Takes responsibility for own work and supports others in accomplishing their work. Is open, honest, and ethical and complies with all policies, procedures, laws and regulatory requirements. Takes ownership for providing solutions to problems and demonstrates sound judgment in decisions and actions.
2. Continuous Learning - Pursues learning and self-development on an ongoing basis. Demonstrates the appropriate knowledge, skills, and abilities in their given field. Proactively takes responsibility for learning about trends, changes, continuing education and certifications as required by the job. Seeks feedback on strengths and areas for improvement.
3. Effective Communication - Practices open, honest, and respectful communication to achieve mutual understanding. Asks questions and practices active, supportive listening to understand diverse perspectives. Conveys information in a way that invites feedback and is respectful of others.
4. Patient/Customer Focus - Creates effective solutions for the needs of patients, fellow employees, and guests.
5. Positive Relationships - Builds and strengthens relationships to successfully achieve organizational results. Works well with others within and across departments to achieve positive results. Interacts effectively with people of different backgrounds, cultures and perspectives. Maintains the self-confidence and self-esteem of others.
6. Quality/Process Improvement/Patient Safety - Seeks to make "what is" better and embraces needed change. Practices openness to new processes and technologies. Works in a collaborative way to implement new ideas, methods and processes that improve quality and patient safety. Proactively seeks to improve team performance.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
1. In an 8-hour day, the employee must sit for 3 hours, stand for 3 hours, and walk for 2 hours.
2. Employee's job requires frequent bending/stooping (6-10% of work time).
3. Job requires the use of hands for actions such as simple grasping.
4. Job requires occasional carrying or lifting (21-50% of work time) of objects weighing up to 35 lbs.
5. Has potential for exposure to infectious diseases, hazardous waste and chemicals.
6. Must be able to see at a near visual acuity level.
7. Must be able to speak.
8. Must be able to hear speech.
MINIMUM EDUCATION, LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION, AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
Associate degree in a science-related field with a certificate of completion from a Medical Laboratory Technician program from an accredited institution. Military education and experience will be considered providing that the applicant has completed the full laboratory training course of 52 weeks and has at least one year's experience in a military hospital. A minimum of six months clinical internship is preferred. Those with military education will need at least one year's experience in a military hospital. Certified as a Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT) from the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) or equivalent. May be hired into this position if he/she has completed the requirements for registration but has not successfully completed the MLT exam; however, the exam must be successfully completed within 6 months subsequent to hiring. Demonstrates professionalism and teamwork. Has knowledge of and can operate laboratory related computer software and systems. Child and Dependent Adult Abuse Mandatory Reporter Training is required within 6 months of hire and every 3 years thereafter.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Trinity Health is a family of 115,000 colleagues and nearly 26,000 physicians and clinicians across 25 states. Because we serve diverse populations, our colleagues are trained to recognize the cultural beliefs, values, traditions, language preferences, and health practices of the communities that we serve and to apply that knowledge to produce positive health outcomes. We also recognize that each of us has a different way of thinking and perceiving our world and that these differences often lead to innovative solutions.
Our dedication to diversity includes a unified workforce (through training and education, recruitment, retention, and development), commitment and accountability, communication, community partnerships, and supplier diversity.
Posted about 2 hours ago
Posted about 2 hours ago
Melrose Park, Illinois
Posted about 2 hours ago
*By registering with our site, you agree to our