Microscopy Suite Manager
Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign seeks applicants to fill the position of Microscopy Suite Manager. The manager of the Microscopy Suite leads strategic, technical, and business planning for the Microscopy Suite, supervises Microscopy Suite staff, and trains users on a variety of instruments.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead research strategy for the Beckman Institute Microscopy Suite to develop and implement comprehensive goals, objectives, and plans; collaborate with faculty members and research scientists on writing grant proposals to acquire state-of-the-art equipment; analyze and conduct benchmarking studies of state-of-the-art microscopy and other imaging technologies; lead workshops and other training for faculty members, research staff, postdocs, and students; develop research requirements to engage with vendors; develop and identify new state-of-the-art instrumentation of use to Beckman researchers through both solicitation of interest and independent investigation; collaborate with the Manager of the Visualization Laboratory to provide comprehensive research strategies to Beckman Institute faculty and students; collaborate with Beckman Institute business office on appropriate business strategies for maintaining self-supporting financial status.
- Analyze technical requirements from Microscopy Suite users to develop and implement appropriate solutions for their imaging needs, including sample preparation; and hardware and software integration with state-of-the-art imaging platforms.
- Supervise, evaluate, set goals, foster advanced state-of-the-art technical training, recommend appropriate professional development related to research grant proposals, and approve benefits usage for the Microscopy Suite personnel.
- Bachelor's degree
- At least five years of experience as a microscopist or researcher using one or more of the following techniques: electron microscopy, light microscopy, scanning probe microscopy, x-ray computed tomography.
- At least five years of experience with user support in a microscopy facility.
- A graduate degree in a relevant scientific field (e.g., biology, physics, bioengineering, electrical engineering).
- At least ten years of relevant experience as a microscopist or researcher using one or more of the following techniques: electron microscopy, light microscopy, scanning probe microscopy, x-ray computed tomography.
- At least ten years of professional experience with user support in a microscopy facility, preferably in an academic research environment.
- At least five years of experience as a supervisor.
- At least five years of grant writing experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate (both oral and written) with technical and non-technical users on imaging-related issues.
- Demonstrated ability to learn new skills quickly and a history of keeping current with new technologies.
- Demonstrated interest in providing the highest quality of service to facility users.
- May have to work nights and weekends.
The Microscopy Suite Manager is a full-time, benefits-eligible Academic Professional position. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. In order to ensure full consideration, application must be received by May 28, 2021. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. The expected start is as soon as possible after the closing date. To apply, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and names/contact information for three professional references as a single PDF file by May 28, 2021. All requested information must be entered for your application to be considered. For further information, please contact Beckman Institute Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment. As a qualifying federal contractor, the University of Illinois System uses E-Verify to verify employment eligibility.
College Name or Administrative Unit:
Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research and Innovation
Microscopy Suite Manager - Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology (143872)