* $5,000 Sign-On Bonus *
*Current employees of MGB and its affiliates are not eligible for the sign on bonus*
The Medical Technologist in the Chemistry Lab performs chemical tests on patient specimens to provide vital information to medical staff for diagnostic or interpretive purposes, and performs this testing following prescribed methods and procedures and meeting established deadlines.
The Medical Technologist reports to the Laboratory Supervisor of the area in which he or she is working.
• Gains experience and develops working knowledge by performing procedures utilizing automated instrumentation and manual methods
• Responsible for the accuracy, interpretation and reporting of results with supervisor review as appropriate
• Performs and keeps accurate records of equipment maintenance and quality control
• Documents corrective actions according to laboratory procedure
• Refers problems and unusual results to appropriate personnel
• Performs clerical and support services as needed.
• Responds to customer needs and requests
• Participates in proficiency testing according to lab policy
• Participates in continuing education programs related to laboratories
• Collects specimens from Central Processing and separates/delivers specimens to proper testing stations.
• Prepares specimens for processing by Technical personnel. May use techniques such as centrifuging or pipetting.
• Operates and maintains a variety of laboratory equipment such as centrifuges and automated blood analyzers.
• Measures specimens and/or reagents quantitatively using pipettes, making necessary dilutions in accordance with standard procedures using manual or automated methods. May prepare solutions and reagents used in conducting patient tests.
• Performs automated and manual testing in chemistry and blood gas departments. Consults with supervisory technologist regarding difficult analyses or abnormal findings.
• Records all results of tests per procedure. Operates computer terminals to enter and retrieve pertinent laboratory information and reports, corrects inaccurate laboratory data.
• Calls critical patient results per lab and hospital policy and documents all calls completely and in a timely manner.
• Follows all safety (including infection control and hazardous material) policies and procedures. Notifies supervisor of unsafe conditions.
• Successfully participates in safety education and all required competency activities
• Performs an expanded scope of testing independently
• Performs testing accurately including interpretation of patient and quality control results
• Ensures patient results are not released until remedial actions are completed and documented
• Bachelors Degree in Medical Technology or Clinical Lab Science andcertification eligible
• Certification eligible CLT at MGH with one year of performanceevaluations which meet or exceed expectations and
• Twelve hours of documented continuing education in previous year accordingto lab specific policy
• Perform basic laboratory procedures accurately, efficiently, and accordingto approved procedures.
• Perform and document quality control and corrective action on allprocedures accurately and according to approved protocol.
• Document and enter test information accurately.
• Recognizes factors that affect measurements and results and takesappropriate action according to predetermined protocols.
• Recognizes abnormal results and refers them to designated supervisorypersonnel.
• Knowledgeable regarding standard laboratory mathand calculations needed to complete various work assignments.
• Prepares reagents and controls used in conductingblood and urine tests (requires pipetting skills).
• Communicate effectively with all laboratory and hospital staff,patients and outside locations.
• Read, write, comprehend English sufficiently tocommunicate with patients, laboratory or hospital staff and follow procedures.
• Understands and practices standard safety andinfection control procedures including standard precautions.
• Possess manual dexterity and visual accuracy.
• Capable of physical exertion, including walking, standing, sitting, andbending or lifting up to 40 pounds.
• Able to work under stress of time constraints and heavy workloaddemands requiring accuracy.
• Able to complete initial and annual competencies successfully
• Ability to work in conjunction with other laboratory staff to gainskills and experience in a variety of duties
• Interpersonal and communication skills to interact effectively withindividuals in the lab and hospital
• Ability to learn several aspects of laboratory operation (testing, LIS, QC)
• Basic computer skills including word and spreadsheet documents and LIS.
• Neat and orderly work habits
• Careful attention to detail and written protocols
• Appropriate level of professionalism
• Knowledge of standard laboratory practice andtechnique.
• May perform duties on evenings, nights, weekends,and/or holidays as required by the supervisor.
• Good customerservice skills
• High level of analytical abilityand judgement
• Good understanding of departmentpolicies and procedures, testprinciples and equipment operation,
• Ability to work independently on standard procedures and assignments
• High level of professionalism
• Ability to participate as requested in performance improvement, workre-design and divisional development projects
Workingenvironment is a clinical laboratory. Staff handles potentially biohazardous body fluid samples (e.g. blood,urine, CSF) from patients and animals (research samples).
Workis performed in a highly structured laboratory in which protective clothing(including personal protective garment and gloves) must be worn.
Nofood or drink is allowed in laboratory working areas.
Environmentmay also be noisy or crowded, with temperature variations.
Liftat least 20 pounds.
Jobrequires repetitive movements.
Preparationand use of reagents and chemicals
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.