Qualified candidates may be eligible for a sign-on incentive of $5,000 based on years of experience!
The University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics department of Pathology is seeking a Medical Laboratory Technician to provide waived and moderately complex clinical lab testing and analysis on biological specimens to provide information used in the diagnosis, prevention, or treatment of disease. Will use a variety of procedures that may involve numerous detailed tests and techniques that require the use of professional judgment. Duties to include, but are not limited to:
- Performs quantitative and qualitative analysis for both waived and moderately complex testing on laboratory clinical and research biological specimens such as blood, tissue and body fluids.
- Provides information to health care provider regarding test methodology and interpretation. Evaluates test results, and provides support to MLS.
- Investigates quality assurance issues involving patient samples. Carries out recommended corrective action for quality assurance.
- Calibrates, conducts routine maintenance, and troubleshoots laboratory instrumentation.
- Seeks technical direction from the MLS with specific instrumentation problems.
- Assists in reagent comparisons, evaluates results and recommends changes to reduce costs and improve efficiency.
- Performs additional tasks, special functions and/or special projects as assigned.
A total of 2 candidtates will be hired from either Medical Laboratory Technician, requisition 2004229 or Medical Laboratory Scientist, requisition 21004230, based on the qualifications of the successful candidate. Please apply to the specific position for which you wish to be considered or both.
The Department of Pathology is part of UI Health Care, a comprehensive health sciences center that serves Iowa and the region, as well as patients referred from the United States and overseas. We are proud of our reputation for excellence in patient care, education and research. There is a long history of accomplishments in this storied department and we aim to build on this rich history toward continued excellence in the future. All these accomplishments are the fruits of the efforts of the faculty and staff in the department, who approach our mission with singular dedication, and the rich environment of UI Health Care that nurtures such success. https://medicine.uiowa.edu/pathology/
University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics-recognized as one of the best hospitals in the United States-is Iowa's only comprehensive academic medical center and a regional referral center. In 2018-19 seven of our adult care specialties were ranked among the nation's best, including otolaryngology (3rd), ophthalmology (7th), orthopedics (14th), cancer (18th), urology (34th), pulmonology (39th), and gynecology (50th). Percent of Time:
60% Weekend Option Schedule:
12 hour shifts available: 0700-1900, and 1900-0700, Friday - Sunday Pay Grade: 4
SEIU Pay Plan: https://hr.uiowa.edu/pay/pay-plans/seiu-pay-planBenefits Highlights:
- Regular salaried position located in Iowa City, Iowa
- Fringe benefit package including paid vacation; sick leave; health, dental, life and disability insurance options; and generous employer contributions into retirement plans
- For more information about Why Iowa?, click here
- Bachelor's degree in a chemical, biological, clinical laboratory science, or medical technology program from an accredited institution, or
- Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT) or eligible from American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) or National Credentialing Agency (NCA), or
- Successfully completed an official US military medical laboratory procedures training course of at least 50 weeks duration and have held the military enlisted occupational specialty of Medical Laboratory Specialist (Laboratory Technician) is required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required.
- Certification from American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) or National Credentialing Agency (NCA) as a Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT) is highly desirable.
- Previous experience as a generalist with core competency in Chemistry, Urinalysis, Coagulation, and Hematology testing; demonstrated proficiency performing manual differentials on both blood and body fluids.
In order to be considered, applicants must upload a cover letter and resume/CV(under submission relevant materials) that clearly address how they meet the listed required and desired qualifications of this position.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of 14calendar days.
Successful candidates will be subject to a criminal background check, health screening and should be prepared to provide 5 professional references upon request. This position is not eligible for University sponsorship for employment authorization.
- Classification Title: Medical Lab Technician
- Appointment Type: SEIU
- Schedule: Part-time
This job has expired.
- Organization: Healthcare
- Contact Name: Brenda Carey
- Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org