It's more than a career, it's a calling
MO-SSM Health Saint Louis University Hospital 1201 Grand
We are looking for candidates who are registered or certified as a medical assistant!
Under general supervision, assists Employee Health staff members in performing optimal ambulatory health care to patients, stocks and maintains exam rooms and front office; assists with clinical and clerical duties.
Job Responsibilities and Requirements:
POSITION ACCOUNTABILITIES AND PERFORMANCE CRITERIA (% of Time)
Essential Functions: The following are essential job accountabilities and performance criteria.
1. Assessment: Performs comprehensive patient assessment. (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6) 25%
A. Accurately performs and documents patient assessments
B. Provides timely ongoing patient reassessment documenting pertinent observations.
C. Assesses and documents education needs of patient.
D. Utilizes special assessments, based on patient history, when appropriate.
E. Performs TB screening, immunizations, physical exams, blood draws, and other Employee Health tasks as assigned.
F. Prepares and organizes module; inspects exam rooms for cleanliness and equipment condition; stocks and maintains rooms and front office with adequate supplies.
G. Checks patients' medical records for pertinent data, reviews and maintains current patient information/demographic data.
H. Greets and escorts patients to exam rooms; prepares for physician/nurse visits by obtaining initial information: prepares for/assists with exams, tests and special procedures proactively and as directed.
I. Prepares patients charts for office appointments; orders and files results of tests, procedures, and dictation in charts; ensures all charts are complete; requests previous records and information from appropriate sources; completes requests for transfer of confidential medical records information
J. Schedules appointments and tests; sets up referral contacts; reviews all requisitions (lab and x-rays) for completeness.
K. Screens, refers, routes and places calls; performs other duties as assigned.
2. Implementation: Provides and documents interventions based on assessed patient needs. (1, 3, 4, 6) 15%
A. Provides patient education.
B. Adheres to Employee Health Policies and Procedures in an accurate and timely manner.
C. Recognizes changes in patient's condition, takes appropriate medical actions.
D. Adheres to testing/immunization administration and documentation per policy guidelines.
E. Performs blood drawing technique to obtain lab specimens
3. Safety/Infection Control: Practices according to safety and infection control policies. (4, 5, 6) 10%
A. Practices Standard precautions and disposes of hazardous wastes per established guidelines.
B. Maintains a safe, clean, comfortable and therapeutic environment for patients/ employees in accordance with Employee Health standards.
1. Maintains clutter free environment.
2. Keeps personal conversations and background noise to a minimum.
3. Adheres to dress code.
C. Reports risk management concerns.
D. Assumes responsibility for completing all annual mandatory requirements:
3. Infection Control
4. Hazardous Communication
6. Age Appropriate Care
4. Service: Provides service excellence to all customers by delivering timely, high quality care in a courteous and respectful manner. (1, 2, 5) 15%
A. Demonstrates Care and Courtesy
1. Provides prompt, respectful, courteous service.
2. Apologizes for mix-up and delay.
3. Keeps patients informed
B. Communicates Effectively and Maintains Confidentiality
1. Listens to patient concerns and addresses needs.
2. Explains procedures and all education in a manner that patient understand.
3. Allows time for questions.
C. Demonstrates Competence and Collaboration
1. Provides accurate/pertinent reports of patient interaction and completed tasks.
2. Provides quality care in accordance to standards.
3. Shares knowledge with other departments to facilitate work flow and continuity.
D. Provides Cost Effective Services
1. Uses resources wisely.
2. Recommends changes in practice that increase efficiency and minimize waste.
5. Professional: Demonstrates accountability for own professional practice. (3, 4, 5) 6%
A. Participates in additional learning experiences to increase professional competence including
1. Staff meetings
2. Mandatory in-services and other educational programs
3. Evaluation of self and peer performance by identifying strengths and areas for improvement.
B. Is at work as scheduled and begins duties promptly at start of shift.
C. Demonstrates ability to make equitable assignments, revising as needed to compliment Employee Health staff abilities and meet patient needs.
D. Functions as a resource person to co-workers, patients, medical staff and ancillary personnel.
E. Identifies problems, gathers pertinent data, suggests solutions, communicates using appropriate lines of authority, and works toward problem resolution.
6. Performance Improvement (PI): Incorporates Performance Improvement into one's professional practice. (5) 3%
A. Assists in developing unit based PI plan.
B. Collects PI data as assigned.
C. Participates in discussion of PI outcomes.
D. Collaborates in developing and implementing action plans.
7. Specialized Care: Provides specialized care to patients at high risk for injury. (4, 5, 6) 1%
A. Abuse Assessment
B. Is aware of abuse recognition Criteria: and incorporates same into assessments.
C. Reports signs of possible abuse/neglect to appropriate Employee Health staff member.
8. Knowledge, skills, abilities and personal characteristics: Performs competently. (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6) 25%
1. Knowledge of medical terminology
2. Interpersonal/human relations skills
3. Attention to details
4. Ability to organize/prioritize
5. Ability to maintain confidentiality
6. Ability to take patients vital statistics
7. Ability to assist with medical examinations and procedures
8. Ability to operate various office programs and medical equipment accurately and efficiently
9. Ability to perform phlebotomy
10. Ability to perform immunizations/PPD's
The following job accountabilities may be reassigned.
1. Telephone communication.
2. Assisting with patient care activities, i.e. performing physicals.
3. Portions of ongoing patient assessments.
4. Medication administration in accordance with professional certification.
5. Specific data collection activities.
6. Clerical duties/tasks.
DISCLAIMER: Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Rationale for Essential Functions
1. The performance of this function is the reason the job exists.
2. This function occupies a great deal of the employee's time.
3. This function is highly specialized. Employees are hired for the skill/ability to perform this function.
4. Failure to perform this function may have serious consequences.
5. The function was performed by past employees, and is performed by current employees.
6. Exposure to blood borne pathogens that requires the use of protective equipment.
MINIMUM EDUCATION: Medical Assistant Certification
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE: Previous clinical experience desired.
REQUIRED COURSE: Current Missouri Certification
Posted about 7 hours ago
Posted about 7 hours ago
Bridgewater, New Jersey
Posted about 2 hours ago