The Capex Project Coordinator is primarily responsible for providing technical and engineering expertise in a project management position in the division, involving a substantial commitment of company resources and time. The Capex Project Coordinator reports to the Senior Engineering Manager. This position requires knowledge of the equipment, technologies, terminology, and practices related to Engineering. This position requires being familiar with steel mill operations as well as construction requirements and limitations and will be exposed to all aspects of mill operations, including business management techniques, budgetary and accounting responsibilities, as well as interpersonal and supervisory skills training development programs. Due to close contact with operating management and personnel, outside contractors, and vendors, the position requires good interpersonal relationships and, the ability to effectively communicate with a variety of personalities and interests and make appropriate recommendations regarding the selection and purchase of materials, services, and equipment for use in the projects. This position requires supervising interdisciplinary teams including the personnel who coordinate all installation and construction projects in the mill, and subcontractors related to projects, assuring compliance to specifications, regulations, codes, safety requirements, and permits pertaining to or issued to the division. Is responsible for determining personnel needs, selecting applicants, training new employees, and follow-up of all work performed.
- Responsible for the planning, execution, and control of capital investments at Cascade Steel Rolling Mill in McMinnville, OR, and El Monte, CA. (Will be located in McMinnville)
- Responsible for the performance Indicators related to capital investments (budget, quality, and schedule).
- Operate through cross-functional teams to ensure collaboration among all lines of operation.
- Complying with company policy and procedures.
- Develops and maintains knowledge of facilities, equipment, processes, material handling, and personnel management as pertains to engineering matters.
- Participate in routine safety activities including Safety Hour, visibility tours, and safety meetings
- Monitors monthly expense cost management data and Capital project cost data and liaises with Business partners to ensure accurate expenditure and Capital forecasting.
- Meets with maintenance, operation, and contractors to coordinate project planning during planned outages
- Writes purchase requisitions relating to Capex projects. Communicates with purchasing and accounting departments
- Support in all engineering department activities – as required.
Must follow all company policies. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) will be worn in accordance with the established Personal Protective Equipment Plan. This position requires occasional climbing while ascending or descending stairs on an infrequent basis. Stooping, kneeling, and crouching when needing to access office supplies or equipment or to take dimensional measurements of plant structures or equipment. Standing and walking to various locations within the manufacturing plant. Reaching to retrieve supplies, equipment, or files/paperwork or to measure. Pushing, pulling, and lifting to move items within the office environment. Repetitive motions of the hands, wrists, and fingers to perform duties such as using a keyboard, telephone, record-filing, or operating a copier/fax. Sitting is required while performing duties at the workstation. Talking in person and by phone to explain procedures, gather information, and brief leadership. Must be able to communicate effectively in person, over the phone, and/or via email. Must be able to hear the radio and phone and can read and view computer monitor, data, figures and text, and dimensional measurements. Job Conditions:
Exposure to physical operations ranging from office environments to manufacturing areas. On occasions may need to enter the mill, where they will be exposed to outdoor and or plant conditions. PPE is required and provided when this is the case. Works indoors and outdoors as required. Exposed to all types of weather conditions when traversing the plant. Rarely exposed to fumes from outside area. Continually, when outside, exposed to all types of weather conditions, dust, dirt, and noise. International or domestic travel may be required to support projects. Qualifications:
PLEASE NOTE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical/Automation or Mechanical Engineering is preferred.
- 5-10 years of experience in CAPEX project execution. This would include work order management, development of vendor/contractor project schedules, and deadlines. Steel plants are preferred.
- Proficient in Oracle EAM, Microsoft Office, AutoCAD, Solid Works, and MS Project is preferred
All U.S. applicants must be 18 years of age or older and all Canada applicants must be 16 years of age or older.
Schnitzer Steel Industries, Inc. participates in E-Verify for all U.S. new hires.
An offer of U.S. employment by Schnitzer Steel Industries, Inc. or any of its subsidiaries is contingent on the satisfactory completion of a post-offer drug screen and background check.
All new hires must review and sign an Arbitration Agreement. This applies to all U.S. non-union employees.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Schnitzer Steel Industries, Inc. does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, marital status, disability status, national origin or ancestry, veteran status, age, prior industrial injury, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other protected status under local, state or federal law.
Company Schnitzer Steel Ind Inc