SCOPE OF POSITION
Performs administrative and nursing care related to the pediatric and primary care sessions and other independent duties with other team members. Understands position is an important part of the care team in the Patient Centered Medical Home and promotes partnership between patient, family and team.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
I. Patient Care/Direct Flow
A. Pediatric Care
1. Available to assist with pediatric care with the provider to administer immunizations/treatments as needed, distribute and collect Behavioral Screenings.
2. Responsible to ensure that pediatric chart has:
a. Growth chart - containing up-to-date height & weight, head circumference,
b. Immunization record complete and up-to-date
3. Assists with distributing books for Reach Out & Read program.
4. Documents in patient's chart any rxs performed, vaccines given
5. Provides education to parents as needed using practice handouts; examples: anticipatory guidance and feeding tips
B. Primary Care
1. Available to assist with primary care sessions as needed
2. Perform treatments, administering injections (vaccinations & medications), wound
cleaning & dressings, etc
3. Set up respiratory treatments as orders
4. Performs venipunctures & EKG's
5. Assists with any procedure performed by provider
6. Documents in patient's chart any rxs performed, vaccines given
7. Calls patients at providers request to relay clinical information and documents call
8. Performs previsit work as designed by practice using standing orders and provider's end of visit orders
9. Reviews health maintenance records for outstanding care and contacts patients as needed
10. Uses standing orders to administer vaccines and refill prescriptions
11. Evaluates patients learning needs and assists with education using PCOI, Shared decision making videos and other materials available for this purpose
12. Assists with screening process for depression and self care readiness as described in policy for this
II. Administrative Duties/Indirect Flow
• Responsible to retrieving electronic prescription requests from patients' portal or SURESCRIPTS
• Responsible for prepping prescription refills for provider approval when IMMERSE fails
• Responsible for team care of patients on opioids by assuring MGH Opioid Prescription Guidelines are followed
• Completes prior authorization forms and other forms such as camp and school forms, immunization records, etc
B. Recording & Ordering
1. Can be required to be responsible for daily temperature log checks
2. Can be required to be responsible for code cart & deliberator checks
3. Can be required to be responsible for ordering O2, Nitrogen Oxide, Vaccines & Medications
• Accurate and timely documentation of rooming data as decided by the practice
• Any communication with patient
D. Population management
• Manage population management to assure diabetics and hypertension patients have up to date services and are meeting quality measures and eligible patients are up to date on cancer screenings (Colon/Breast/Cervix) and vaccines
III. Patient Flow Management
A. Assists with bringing patients to exam rooms for their appointments and preparing room and patient for appointment.
B. Monitors MD's schedules for add ons and cancellations etc and assures MD is aware of changes.
C. Alerts MDs by mutually agreed upon cue when MD falls behind schedule
D. Updates patients waiting for appointments if MD is behind schedule.
E. Makes schedule changes as necessary to accommodate patient and MD's schedule.
F. Assists patient in setting agenda for appointment and effectively can communicate this to provider
G. Huddles with care team before each session and communicates valuable information to other members of the care team who are not present at huddle.
H. Huddles with provider between patients giving updates on incoming patient
A. Licensed nurse acts as a resource to medical assistants as needed
B. Assists with primary care/specialty sessions when necessary
A. Participates in quality assurance activities of the clinic; participates in 1 process improvement activity/year
B. Participates in community activities i.e. flu clinic
C. Participates in various programs within the health center as needed
D. Works as team member with other members of the care team
E. Assumes other responsibilities & duties within the realm of the licensed nurse
F. Extra hours may be required at times depending upon the needs of the Health Center.
G. Attends staff meetings as scheduled and staff training sessions when needed
H. Establishes a relationship with assigned Registered Nurse Mentor
Graduate of LPN school; Licensed LPN in state of Massachusetts
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.