RESIDENTIAL PROGRAMS & SERV (BA-RPAS-IUBLA)
IU Dining supports the goals and mission of Indiana University by providing a professional and welcoming atmosphere with excellent customer service, affordable options, and innovative cuisine to a diverse university community. Please visit IU Catering for more information.
Great opportunity to work at IMU!
The Indiana Memorial Union (IMU) has been the heart of the Indiana University Bloomington campus for more than 100 years. Each year thousands of students, faculty, staff, alumni, and guests enjoy the many amenities and opportunities the IMU has to offer.
Apply for this exciting opportunity to join a dynamic team and contribute to an exceptional service experience for our guests. The cleanliness of our facilities, equipment and dining areas is just as important as the quality of food we serve, and we count on our Kitchen Utility Attendants to help us create and maintain an environment where our guests feel safe and comfortable eating a meal.
IU Dining Kitchen Utility Attendants do a combination of traditional custodial work as well as ware-washing and dishwashing tasks.
- Performs general kitchen sanitation duties and tasks and directs, teaches, and monitors assigned student and other temporary employees in the proper performance of custodial activities.
- Performs a variety of heavy labor tasks for general kitchen operations; cleans and maintains assigned equipment such as floor scrubbers, carpet vacuums, etc.
- Washes windows and interior/exterior surfaces in dining rooms, assigned lobby areas, kitchen offices, and all other dining facility areas.
- Separates and removes trash and garbage and places it in designated containers; supports and practices departmental standards related to waste recycling; cleans out garbage cans.
- Perform ware-washing duties and tasks. Cleans and sanitizes pots, pans, food preparation equipment, and trays. Cleans, sanitizes and performs routine preventive maintenance on dishwasher and other mechanical food preparation equipment.
- Transfers supplies and equipment between delivery point, storage, and work areas; loads or unloads trucks picking up or delivering supplies. Collects and delivers items for store room operations when the Stores Representative is not available.
- Refills and organizes service tray display counters, cabinets, or tables; sets up tables and other furniture and equipment.
- Directs, teaches, and monitors assigned student and other temporary employees in the proper performance of basic ware-washing tasks.
- General knowledge at the high school level
- Previous related experience helpful
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATESRequired
- Other: Food Safety (ServSafe) certification 180 Days
Working Conditions / Demands
- Ability to work in a safe and efficient manner
- Proficient communication skills
- Maintains a high degree of professionalism
- Demonstrates time management and priority setting skills
- Demonstrates a high commitment to quality
- Possesses flexibility to work in a fast paced, dynamic environment
- Seeks to acquire knowledge in area of specialty
- Highly thorough and dependable
- Demonstrates a high level of accuracy, even under pressure
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to represent the company with external constituents
- Ability to drive multiple projects to successful completion
- Strong verbal communication and listening skills
- Ability to build strong customer relationships
- Knowledge of cleaning procedures and equipment including ability to operate and use standard cleaning equipment and materials and some knowledge of standard kitchen practices and basic kitchen sanitation methods.
- Knowledgeable of health and safety regulations.
- Ability to work comfortably in a group environment and treat employees and customers with kindness and respect.
- Flexible, adaptable, and adjust readily to changes in routine.
- Good interpersonal skills; and ability to be a highly flexible team player in a dynamic environment requiring a customer focused approach while maintaining acceptable standards of personal hygiene.
This role regularly requires the ability to effectively communicate. This role frequently requires the ability to handle equipment. This role frequently requires the ability to remain stationary and ascend/descend ladders/stairs. This role requires the ability to move objects weighing up to 25 lbs. The role requires the ability to detect items in close proximity as well as far away; discern between colors; detect objects in peripheral space of self; discern items in detail; and to have good depth perception. The person in this role must be able to perform the essential functions with or without an accommodation.Work Location
Bloomington, IndianaWork Hours
Shift times vary according to business needs.
Management reserves the right to adjust work hours to accommodate special meals and events.Job Classification
Career Level: Foundational
Job Function: Operations
Job Family: Food Services
Click here to learn more about Indiana University's Job Framework.Posting Disclaimer
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, there may be differences in the working conditions as advertised in our standard job postings (e.g., the ability to travel from one campus to another, etc.). If you are invited for an interview, please discuss your questions or concerns regarding the working conditions at that time.
This posting is scheduled to close at 11:59 pm EST on the advertised Close Date. This posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University, but will remain open for a minimum of 5 business days. To guarantee full consideration, please submit your application within 5 business days of the Posted Date.
If you wish to include a cover letter, you may include it with your resume when uploading attachments.New employees will be provided with information regarding Indiana University's COVID-19 vaccine policy, which includes the opportunity to request an exemption. To learn more, view our COVID-19 vaccine information page.Equal Employment Opportunity
Indiana University is an equal employment and affirmative action employer and a provider of ADA services. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment based on individual qualifications. Indiana University prohibits discrimination based on age, ethnicity, color, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, disability status or protected veteran status. Indiana University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its educational programs and activities, including employment and admission, as required by Title IX. Questions or complaints regarding Title IX may be referred to the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights or the university Title IX Coordinator. See Indiana University's Notice of Non-Discrimination here which includes contact information.Campus Safety and Security
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report, containing policy statements, crime and fire statistics for all Indiana University campuses, is available online. You may also request a physical copy by emailing IU Public Safety at firstname.lastname@example.org or by visiting IUPD.Contact Us
This job has expired.