Best Buddies International is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to establishing a global volunteer movement that creates opportunities for one-to-one friendships, integrated employment, leadership development, and inclusive living for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD).
Best Buddies is the world’s largest organization dedicated to ending the social, physical and economic isolation of the 200 million people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD). Our programs empower the special abilities of people with IDD by helping them form meaningful friendships with their peers, secure successful jobs, live independently, improve public speaking, self-advocacy, and communication skills, and feel valued by society.
Job Title:Employment Consultant
Department:State Operations and Programs
Reports to:Jobs, Program Supervisor/TBD
Salary Range:$40,000 - $41,000
Position Overview: The primary responsibility of the Employment Consultant is to function as a coach, mentor, and vocational support professional working one-to-one with individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD), supporting them to successfully obtain employment in their communities, improving their quality of life allowing them to gain greater levels of independence through work. The Employment Consultant offers support during the Job development/job seeking process, provides coaching during onboarding and any needed follow-along support with a focus on fostering an independent workspace.
Job Duties include, but are not limited to:Programs
- Bachelor’s degree or minimum of two years of professional experience. Best Buddies program experience a plus.
- Must be comfortable engaging with people with IDD and addressing sensitive issues.
- Engaging and patient communicator able to quickly and effectively develop and balance multiple relationships while supporting individuals to achieve results.
- Basic presentation and facilitation skills
- Basic understanding of social media and familiarity with Office 365.
- Strong written communication and project/time management skills, including attention to detail
- Strong initiative, drive for results, and self-assessment skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Must be comfortable with frequent local travel, use personal cell phone, and work evenings and weekends as necessary in order to accomplish job responsibilities, and to support local BBI fundraising events.
- Access to an automobile with applicable insurance
Marketing and Fund Development
- Utilize a person-centered approach supporting individuals in job searching efforts in industries and opportunities that match their skills and interests, within their communities and based on transportation options available.
- Once placed, the Employment Consultants provides the individual with support during orientation, onboarding and throughout the early stages of training with the goal of fostering an independent work environment.
- Employment Consultant’s develop and maintain positive relationships with the individual, families, Vocational Rehabilitation counselors, advocates, and employers.
- Employment Consultant’s seek to identify natural supports within the individual’s workplace to provide additional support and ensure the individual is embraced and fully included as a member of the team.
- Compassionately persuade and educate individuals, parents and/or guardians of the opportunities and possibilities available to anyone seeking a career, as well as the benefit to programs such as Ticket to Work.
- Guides participants, guardians and family members in navigating social security issues, offering referrals to local Work Incentives and Planning and Assistance (WIPA) and/or Community Work Incentive Counselors (CWIC) available through their state Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) agencies to focus on identifying any/all available work incentives, including programs that extend Medicare/Medicaid coverage while the individual achieves a greater level of independence.
- Encourage a collaborative team approach to include the Employment Consultant, guardians, employers, VR counselors, etc., in supporting the individuals to successfully reach their vocational goals by understanding all services & supports available.
- Maintain regular communication with employers/supervisors advocating for the participants’ rights to equal treatment and fair wages, while encouraging self-advocacy and maintaining positive relationships with Employment partners.
- Employment Consultants provide open communication to individuals & their guardians, employer partners, supervisors, co-workers, etc., embedding strategies, brainstorming for ways to offer tools, and any support needed for the individual to be successful in attaining a higher level of independence.
- Provide individuals with travel training and/or assistance with public transportation.
- Understand and educate participants on safety guidelines in the workplace including emergency procedure quizzes to be reviewed on a quarterly schedule to ensure the welfare, health, and safety of all participants.
- Attends events to increase awareness about Best Buddies International and identify potential program participants
- Encourage jobs participants to attend Ambassador and state trainings
- Demonstrate “Mission Moments” by contributing images for various social media platforms to raise awareness to the available pool of talent available to employers focused on improving DEI.
- Contribute content and images of job participants for social media platforms and annual initiatives such as Leadership Conference (LC), Staff Leadership Conference (SLC), National Disability Employment Awareness Month (NDEAM), Spread the Word campaign, etc.
- Support local Best Buddies International fundraising events through community outreach, generating revenue, etc.
- Assumes full responsibility for a caseload of successfully employed job participants, including the documenting, and uploading of all services, paperwork, and communications into the SET-Works secure database.
- Completes required paperwork in a timely and organized manner, including but not limited to Individualized Written Program Plan (IWPP), annual paperwork, safety exercises, and all reports required for local funding agencies.
- Collaborates with supervisor to ensure that all required billing documentation is completed accurately and in a timely manner and assures payments have been received.
Best Buddies® is an affirmative action employer, in addition to an EOE and M/F/V/PWD/PV employer. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are foundational to Best Buddies International’s core values and help the organization continue to achieve its mission. Here at Best Buddies, our goal is to lead and advocate for a more inclusive world.
Best Buddies offers a comprehensive and generous benefits programs that include financial security, health and wellness and time off.