The Nebraska Department of Education is looking for a Counseling Specialist to help Nebraska Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) clients achieve employment outcomes through the provision of agreed-upon services.
Nebraska Department of Education employees are working from hybrid work locations. This approach includes both working in the local VR office and from a home office. Nebraska VR's hybrid work schedule is two days per week in the local VR office and three days per week from a home office. The amount of time spent working from home or in the office is subject to supervisory approval and will be discussed at the interview.
Budgeted Salary Range:
The salary range for this position is dependent on education.
- Successful candidates with a Bachelor's degree will be hired as a Service Specialist, with a salary range of $16.108 - $18.520.
- Successful candidates with a Master's degree will be hired as a Rehabilitation Specialist, with a salary range of $19.945 - $23.266.
These ranges are based upon available budget funds. The selected candidate's skills, abilities, education, and experience will determine the salary offer within this posted range.EEO
NDE is committed to advancing equity, inclusiveness, and diversity in all that we do. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, we encourage applications from ALL qualified candidates and assure they will receive consideration for this position regardless of sex, race, color, national origin, religion, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
This position is federally funded and may be governed by the Federal Hatch Act. Click here to review the Act.
Examples of Work
- Conducts employment discussion and career exploration to assess client strengths and barriers, vocational interests, aptitude, skills, preference and values.
- Determines and prepares case for client eligibility, priority groups, job goal, and plan for employment by analyzing and synthesizing medical and psychological reports, social, education, and employment information.
- Develops and manages Individualized Plans for Employment (IPEs), and employment outcome determinations for approval by a Rehabilitation Specialist.
- Advises and instructs adults with disabilities in informed decision making, interpersonal, educational, and vocational skills.
- Provides career, personal adjustment, and disability counseling to help adult clients achieve employment outcomes.
- Monitors and advocates for client progress to support efficient follow through by team members and providers to ensure client success.
- Develops and maintains partnerships with employers, community referral sources, and one-stop centers.
- Provides outreach and information about vocational rehabilitation to the community, including referral sources and schools.
- Recommends the purchase of goods and services for clients in accordance with established fiscal policies and procedures.
Rehabilitation Specialists will also perform these Essential Functions:
- Possesses a valid driver's license, travels independently, and works in a variety of settings.
- Maintains regular and reliable attendance.
- Advises and instructs adults and high school age youth with disabilities in informed decision making, interpersonal, educational, and vocational skills.
- Develops, manages, and approves Individualized Plans for Employment (IPEs), and employment outcome determinations.
- Prepares and approves cases for client eligibility, priority groups, job goal, and plan for employment by analyzing and synthesizing medical and psychological reports, social, education, and employment information.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participates in Nebraska VR and Nebraska Department of Education committees and work groups.
- Provides one or more of the following (1) benefit orientation, (2) Employment Success Skills (ESS) training, (3) independent living skills training.
Working Conditions and Travel:
Approximately 80% of work time is spent in the office. The remainder of work time is spent in the community. May be asked, within reason, to use own personal car for travel.
Qualifications / Requirements
Service Specialist: Bachelor's degree in a related field or Bachelor's degree in another field and a minimum of two years of work experience related to the essential functions of the position.
Rehabilitation Specialist: Master's degree with emphasis in one of the following areas: Vocational Rehabilitation Counseling, Counseling and Guidance, or another field that reasonably provides competence in the employment sector, in a disability field, or both.
Service Specialist: Bachelor's degree in related field and at least one year of direct experience working with and advocating for persons with significant disabilities. Experience or training providing case management services (documenting observations, writing case notes, locating resources).
Rehabilitation Specialist: Master's degree in related field and direct experience working with and advocating for persons with significant disabilities. Experience or training providing case management services (documenting observations, writing case notes, locating resources).
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Formats used in written business communications.
- English grammar, spelling, and composition needed for correspondence.
- Computer software necessary to carry out job responsibilities.
- Types and uses of office equipment.
- Office management principles, methods, and procedures.
- Established policies, procedures, practices of the Nebraska Department of Education.
- Interact with persons having significant disabilities.
- Locate and summarize information from files and documents.
- Maintain the confidential nature of information.
- Convey technical information to individuals with varying levels of knowledge.
- Communicate orally and in writing with agency staff and the public.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Understand, interpret, and apply rules, administrative policies, and program guidelines.
- Operate office equipment necessary to perform the required duties.
The Supplemental Questions section of the application assists us in determining candidates to interview, so answering them completely with requested details is highly encouraged. Each written response area has ample space to provide a complete response; due to screen size, we do not recommend filling out this application on small mobile devices.
This job has expired.