Posted in Utilities
This is a unique opportunity to work in the Legal Department of a publicly-traded diversified energy company. Avangrid, Inc. (NYSE: AGR) is a leading, sustainable energy company with approximately $32 billion in assets and operations in 24 U.S. states. AVANGRID has two primary lines of business: Avangrid Networks and Avangrid Renewables. Avangrid Networks owns eight electric and natural gas utilities, serving 3.2 million customers in New York and New England. Avangrid Renewables owns and operates 7.1 gigawatts of electricity capacity, primarily through wind power, with a presence in 22 states across the United States. AVANGRID employs approximately 6,500 people. AVANGRID supports the U.N.'s Sustainable Development Goals, received a Climate Development Project climate score of "A-," the top score received in the utilities sector, and has been recognized for two consecutive years by Ethical Boardroom as the North American utility with the "best corporate governance practices." AVANGRID is headquartered in Orange, CT. We welcome you to visit our website for more information about our company (www.avangrid.com).
The successful candidate will be an integral member of a team providing legal counsel and support to Avangrid Networks utilizing global best practices. This position will provide legal support and represent the Avangrid Networks utility companies (electric and gas) principally on matters involving the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), the New York Independent System Operator (NYISO), the New England Independent System Operator (NE-ISO), and electric transmission matters generally, as well as support other areas of Avangrid Networks' businesses, including NERC matters and energy infrastructure development.
This is a Counsel or Senior Counsel role, depending on experience. The position reports to the Networks FERC Legal Director for Avangrid Networks and is located in Orange, Connecticut. There are no direct reports to this position.
• Provide counsel to the Networks utility companies on compliance matters related to applicable Open Access Transmission Tariffs (OATTs), including interconnection standards and agreements in connection with the electric utilities, interconnection disputes, transmission rates, mandatory reporting, and development activities for transmission infrastructure projects;
• Draft and negotiate a range of contracts, including non-disclosure agreements, data and cybersecurity agreements, and asset transfer agreements;
• Represent the company's legal interests in ISO Transmission Owner groups, including drafting petitions, response to pleadings, draft comments for rule makings, and coordinate with other Transmission Owners under joint defense or joint representation of counsel situations;
• Provide legal leadership and counsel on FERC, NYISO and ISO-NE, and NERC matters, including drafting or reviewing filings and representing the Company in proceedings before FERC;
• Monitor federal regulation and FERC dockets that impact Avangrid Networks to communicate and coordinate internally to business clients on various topics;
• Contribute to the development of the company strategy for federal regulation and FERC engagement, including updates to and coordination with business clients;
• Advise senior managers within the Company on topics of concern to the utility businesses;
• Work alongside and become a trusted advisor to the business areas within the Company;
• Monitor relevant federal and state regulatory proceedings, including gas pipeline rate cases;
• Procure and liaise with outside counsel, and track legal spending and budgets
• Support the Networks FERC Legal Director and the Avangrid Networks, Inc. General Counsel
Skills and Requirements
1. Strong interpersonal and presentation skills, along with the ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing to all levels of the organization and to regulators
2. An understanding of FERC rules, NYISO and the ISO-NE stakeholder process and electric transmission matters generally
3. Strong negotiating skills on both legal and commercial issues
4. An ability to establish and maintain strong relationships within the organization's legal department and across all AVANGRID businesses and with regulatory agencies
5. An ability to work collaboratively and be a participating member of a team
Experience as an attorney with FERC and/or ISO/RTO, or a law firm or in-house position practicing in utility law specifically in FERC matters and transmission generally, including ISO/RTO matters, interconnection standards, and FERC tariffs. NERC experience is a plus, but not required. Position may involve occasional travel to upstate New York, Maine, Massachusetts, and Washington, DC.
Bar Admission/Certifications: Admitted to practice in Connecticut and/or New York, or able to waive in or otherwise gain admission
Required Education: J.D. degree
Cohoes, New York
Posted about 4 hours ago
East Chicago, Indiana
Posted about 4 hours ago
Posted about 2 hours ago
*By registering with our site, you agree to our