Job Location: DeKalb
Want to make an impact?
The Continuous Improvement Specialist will be responsible for driving operational improvement projects as well as working on cross-functional teams to commercialize innovative products in the factory. Continuous improvement efforts will focus on making sustainable gains in OEE, quality, safety, cost, and delivery. Methods for achieving and sustaining improvements will be based on using continuous improvement fundamentals. The team member will need to collaborate closely with team, factory, and other corporate groups to achieve the project objectives aligned with the business needs. The team member will be responsible to carry out assignments of a broad nature while exercising considerable judgment and creativity. The team member needs to be able to carry out appropriate financial analysis to validate/support proposals and gain support of key stakeholders.
Ways you will make a difference
Drive Continuous Improvement & Productivity Savings Projects
• Responsible for identifying, chartering, and leading significant improvement initiatives - delivering the project results on time.
• Provide project updates to the factory leadership team and project stakeholders highlighting the current status, adherence to the project time plan, work accomplished, quick wins, points of escalation, elements of risk and the associated mitigation plans.
• Develop project teams on key skills to drive improvement.
• Utilize continuous improvement tools and methodologies (RCA, DMAIC, Loss Tree Analysis, IPA, etc.) to drive sustainable operational improvements.
• Analyze given data and operating conditions; implement changes and follow-up on results by involving key responsible people (i.e. sponsor, process owner, operator).
• Determine means to reduce material usages, material losses and rework, and to achieve energy savings.
• Carry out follow-up programs to maintain the achieved savings, to complete additional training, to detect further savings opportunities, as well as ensure the overall continuity of the project.
Maintain and Analyze Factory Routing and Scrap Standards
• Participate in annual budget process to assess all run rate efficiencies, nominal speeds, and scrap values by component
• Work with production to validate and finance to align on adjustments needed
Support Business Innovation and Renovation Efforts
• Determine the optimum machine speed, production cycles and line crewing that are required for master scheduling, as well as for short term planning and control.
• Carry out the respective trials, together with the supervisors and managers, before any change or newly designed system or method is installed. Assist the operations, supervisors, and mangers for adapting changes to take the necessary actions and any other steps required to ensure the achievement of the best possible result.
• Work collaboratively with product development, marketing, supply chain, finance, and operations to bring new products to market and meet the defined project objectives. Utilize SAP to create and maintain product standards.
Skills that will make you successful
- Interpersonal skills, self confidence, leadership abilities
- Change agent
- Ability to build trust and interact with all levels of the organization
- Strong project management skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Communication skills (verbal and written)
- Working knowledge of TPM, Lean, and Six Sigma strongly preferred
- Team leadership and team membership skills
- Negotiation skills, training skills
- Creative, reliable, organized, adaptable, flexible, innovative, and a self starter
- Computer literate (including mastery of all Microsoft Office Suite)
- Customer service orientation
- Focus on adding value to a fast and performance driven business
Experiences that will support your success
Two years of experience in food manufacturing preferred
Six Sigma or Lean background with examples of application and results preferred (preferable skill set at the level of a Green or Black Belt)