The Clinical Research Project Manager at the Dhand Lab (Lab) is one of the lead administrators for the Lab and its large portfolio of grants and sponsored projects. The Clinical Research Project Manager is a key partner with the principal investigators within the Lab, and the key link among the Lab, Brigham and Women's Hospital, and other internal and external collaborating organizations.
The Clinical Research Project Manager will be charged with taking strategic projects from vision to reality on behalf of the Lab's leadership, and extending the impact of the Lab through day-to-day work. The Clinical Research Project Manager will further be charged with overseeing the submission and management of grants through the Lab and overseeing the marketing, outreach, and event planning functions for the Lab. Finally, the Clinical Research Project Manager serves as one of the lead administrators, overseeing and directing other Lab staff.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Project Management: Track progress of projects and communicate with stakeholders. Work closely with lab members to gain an understanding of research activities. Facilitate and document the definition of project scope, goals, and resource requirements. Translate project goals into deliverables, milestones, and timelines within a project plan. Track progress of key milestones, ensuring execution of key deliverables. Manage change in timelines, deliverables, and budget as needed.
- Manage patient engagement in research studies. Maintain a master schedule of recruited patient scheduled activities. Communicate with clinical staff and patient families to schedule patients for research visits. Explain research goals to patients and families.
- Assist principal investigators and research staff in monitoring quality of projects. Conduct project evaluations. Actively seek out best practices and communicate these to researchers. Assist with tasks that forward research goals such as ordering books and helping with index creation of Lab members' books.
- Ensure appropriate communication with all project stakeholders regarding timelines and status, deadlines, data requirements, logistics and all other project-related issues. Facilitate project meetings to continually align the team around goals and communicate blocking issues.
- Ensure that projects and activities adhere to institutional guidelines with regards to safety and regulatory compliance. Lead research assistants in generating and maintaining appropriate IRB for the projects.
- Grants Management: Assist principal investigators (PI) in the preparation of research grants and proposals according to specifications determined by the PI, respective sponsor and institution. Act as subject matter expert for PIs regarding grant policies, activities, and procedures. Assist researchers in the development of relevant reporting.
- Work with BWH Neurology Post-Award to facilitate the set up new awards including subcontracts, data use agreements, or other subprojects between researchers and their partners, affiliates, or industry collaborators.
- Work with BWH Neurology Post-Award to facilitate fiscal and personnel tasks related to post-award grants management. Conduct reconciliation and analysis of budgets to provide up-to-date information on the status of the budgets.
- Ensures all legal procedures are followed, including processing and following IRB protocols, NDAs, Data Use Agreements and working with BWH Neurology gatekeepers for proper review and approval of all contracts or other agreements.
- Work with researchers to process provisional and nonprovisional patent paperwork and to ensure full reporting.
- Lab Administration: Schedule and help set the agenda for Lab meetings. Oversee the planning of Lab-hosted symposia and other events. Oversee onboarding and maintenance of credentials for all lab personnel.
- Work with Lab leadership to understand and plan for strategic growth and needed resources to support that growth. Oversee the day-to-day implementation of strategic priorities within the Lab. Mentor and guide other Lab staff/research assistants and sets short and long-term priorities for project execution.
- Manage special projects related to Lab's strategic growth as assigned by Lab leadership.
- Fiscal Management and Budget Analysis:Work closely with BWH Post-Award Team to manage all aspects of the Lab related budgets and financial operations. Facilitate monitoring, reconciling, and forecasting Lab budget versus expenses across all appropriate funds. Monitor monthly budget expenditures, review relevant invoices, expense reports, purchase orders and direct pays. Manage the dates and deadlines of all competing and non-competing renewals, as well as all Personal Service Agreements.
- Meet regularly with BWH Post Award to discuss forecasted spending and budgets. Brief Dr. Dhand and other relevant leadership on financial outlook.
- Outreach, Marketing and Planning: In coordination with the BWH Marketing and Communications team as well as Harvard Medical School Marketing and Communications, design, create, and disseminate materials and content to advance to mission of the Lab.
- Collaborate closely with Lab's director and its researchers to distill effective content for digital or print pieces, including trade books, grant proposals, technical reports, academic journal publications and art-science collaborations.
- Develop and maintain all media and website outlets. Manage a simple digital media strategy and implement it through social media outlets such as MailChimp and Twitter for Dhand Lab researchers.
- Bachelor's degree required; MA/MS/MPH preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of progressively more responsible research work experience.
- Prior supervisory experience required.
- Experience and training in project management or program management required
- Experience in clinical, neurological, or social science research, preferred.
- Manage projects effectively
- Manage finances effectively
- Possess a high level of initiative and the ability to work independently and with teams
- Create and maintain interpersonal relationships
- Solve problems as they arise
- Handle sensitive and confidential matters discreetly
- Manage time and organize tasks effectively
- Maintain competent computer skills (including operating systems, word processing, database, electronic mail, Internet, and spreadsheets).
- Be innovative, detail-oriented, and self-motivated
- Hybrid work currently from home and Lab environments (Clinical and Scientific)
- Some local travel may be required
- Some after-hours meetings may be required
- Direct management of clinical research assistants
- Project management of clinical research assistants, data managers, and Post-Doctoral Associates
- This position monitors designated and operating funds associated with the Dhand Lab (approximately $6.6M currently).
BWH is an Affirmative Action Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, age, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, military service, genetic information, and/or other status protected under law. We will ensure that all individuals with a disability are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.