Under the direction of the ED Nurse Director or designee provides support to the patient care team by providing constant observation and monitoring of assigned patients to ensure safety and prevention of injury. Provides support services to direct care givers and patients through ensuring a clean and ready environment, stocking and environmental support and duties directly related to patients are provided with direction from the RN.
- Provides close and continuous, consistent, direct visual surveillance of assigned patient (s)
- Assist with application of restraints
- Works collaboratively with Security to maintain staff and patient safety
- Takes direction from registered nurse at all times, including when patient leaves the room/unit. Does not leave patient unless relieved by another staff member, as directed by the RN.
- Calls for assistance immediately when necessary to prevent harming self or others
- Observes and reports to the RN all expressed patient concerns or distress
- Notifies the RN when any tubes, IV's or catheters become disconnected
- Completes observer observation paperwork per hospital policy
- Observe patient (s) for obvious changes in behavior or condition and will complete a written assessment for of behavioral changes during the course of the shift
- Assures patient room and immediate area are ligature safe per hospital policy
- Ability to communicate patient behaviors to the appropriate staff in the event patient safety is compromised
- Must maintain constant observation including must not leave patient unattended, not fall asleep, not use devises, or engage in other activities that would distract constant observation activities
- Provides companionship by reading, talking and listening to the patient
- Courteously greets patients, introduces self, and explains the purpose of the patient safety monitor role
- Follows infection prevention policies and procedures as directed by the RN. Complies with hand hygiene policy
- Demonstrates good organizational skills
- Communicates positively and professionally with all internal and external customers
- Maintains and monitors the Patient Care Unit supplies and equipment
- Puts away supplies
- Cleans patient equipment
- Under the direction of the RN may assist patients with repositioning, turning and mobilization
SKILLS REQUIRED:Current CPR/First Aid. Successful completion of de-escalation and restraint training withing 30 days of hire. Ability to physically restrain out of control individuals after training. Requires intense attention to ensure a safe enviornment. Ability to concentrate and pay attention. Ability to read and write English. Must see, hear and speak well. Effective communication and de-escalation skills with patients of diverse age, population, and multitude of cultural/ethical backgrounds. Basic computer skills which may be acquired through on the job training
EXPERIENCE PREFERRED: Experience in an acute care hospital setting, inpatient mental health unit or any related experience
EDUCATION REQUIRED: A minimum of a High School education or equivilentEEO Statement
Salem Hospital is an Affirmative Action Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, age, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, military service, genetic information, and/or other status protected under law. We will ensure that all individuals with a disability are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.
This job has expired.