If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet .
The University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.
With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful mission to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.
The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.
The University of Miami is considered among the top tier institutions of higher education in the U.S. for its academic excellence, superior medical care, and cutting-edge research. At the U, we are committed to attracting a talented work force to support our common purpose of transforming lives through teaching, research, innovation, and service. Through our values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) we strive to create an environment where everyone contributes to making UM a great place to work. We are one of the largest private employers in Miami-Dade County; home to more than 16,000 faculty and staff from all over the world.
The Division of Development and Alumni Relations supports and promotes the mission, purpose, and priorities of the University of Miami through fundraising and engagement by building and nurturing strategic philanthropic relationships to improve and transform the lives of individuals and communities. We are committed to values central to the Division-Service, Gratitude, Trust, and Partnership-which guide our strategic thinking, decision-making, and day-to-day interaction with each other and our stakeholders.
The Assistant Vice President, Development Resources (AVP) in support of the Associate Vice President, Development Resources will be accountable for providing cross-functional support to multiple areas within the Division of Development and Alumni Relations (DAR) in order to ensure the achievement of goals across the division.
The AVP will have direct responsibility over the following departments: IT DAR Development Services and Reporting, IT DAR Application Development and Data Analytics, Portfolio and Relationship Optimization, and DAR Professional Development.
* Working directly with the Associate Vice President and Executive Directors to provide input on the strategic direction of the departments including providing team based strategic planning.
* Accountable for working with the Executive Director of IT DAR Development Services and Reporting in providing leadership and strategic guidance in the management of the service desk functions for DAR. Help create strategic vision in developing new reporting. Provide guidance and leadership for the IT infrastructure including the development database system.
* Accountable for working with the Executive Director of IT DAR Application Development and Data Analytics in providing strategic leadership in developing the next steps as it relates to moving our development systems forward. Help make strategic roadmaps for development for core product, web development and data analytics. Provide guidance and leadership to move our development database system and data warehouse to the next levels.
* Accountable for working with the Executive Director of Portfolio and Relationship Optimization by managing to provide strategic leadership to ensure a focus on the right individuals for the right gifts; and to make certain prospects and volunteers are engaged in the most impactful manner to generate forward movement in their engagement with the University.
* Accountable for working with the Sr. Director of DAR Professional Development to provide strategic leadership around all DAR professional development initiatives, including the DAR Philanthropy Academy.
* Develop and implement a comprehensive philanthropic fundraising training program for deans, faculty, physicians, volunteers, and development officers.
* Working with the Associate Vice President of Development Resources provide strategic planning as it relates to talent management, acquisition and retention, along with career ladders and succession planning.
* Make critical business decisions for Development Resources, independently and with full accountability. Supervise and inspire employees toward excellence, and lead by example.
* Manage multiple projects and competing priorities, meeting the quality standards of the area and University.
* Apply creative thinking to develop new solutions.
* Stay current on industry-wide best practices and trends; engage with and participate in team conversations to brainstorm new projects and processes to increase effectiveness and efficiency.
* Other duties as assigned.
* Bachelor's degree, Master's degree preferred. 10 years of demonstrated successful experience in operational management of a development organization, preferably in higher education or health care.
* Knowledge of basic fundraising techniques and strategies.
* Outstanding oral and written communication skills.
* Understanding of development and staff recruitment.
* Knowledge of online learning or talent acquisition systems.
* Understanding of management and leadership development.
* Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
* Attention to detail, accuracy, and the ability to maintain confidentiality.
* Commitment to continuous process improvement.
* Demonstrated aptitude for new and emerging technologies.
* Ten or more years' experience with relational databases including query and report writing.
* Highly organized and detail oriented.
* Proven ability to manage people in a positive and constructive environment.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.