GENERAL SUMMARY/OVERVIEW STATEMENT
Responsible for assessing, planning, organizing and administering Respiratory Care procedures in accordance with physician's treatment plan including mechanical ventilation and airway care; respiratory treatment; emergency respiratory maneuvers; transport and maintenance of critically ill patients for special tests and procedures. Performs and interprets tests and procedures to assess and manage patient care in accordance with physician. Attends and participates in hospital educational programs and patient care rounds. Precepts college students/interns from respiratory care programs.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Provides professional Respiratory Care including initiation and maintenance of mechanical ventilation, assist with insertion, stabilization and maintenance of artificial airways, and administration of Respiratory Care modalities. Uses professional judgment regarding appropriateness of therapy and modifies treatment and/or notifies physicians with recommendations for change. Administers appropriate tests and procedures as ordered to evaluate appropriateness of therapy including pulse oximetry, pulmonary mechanics, pulmonary function testing, airway clearance techniques, and alveolar gas measurements.
2. Responds to respiratory emergencies (including cardiopulmonary resuscitations), establishes and maintains patient airway. Transports and maintains mechanically ventilated patients.
3. Assesses patient condition based on medical history, patient observation and examination, physician's diagnosis, laboratory findings, specific respiratory tests and procedures. Uses professional judgment to work collaboratively with the care team.
4. Assists and instructs respiratory technicians and students in performance of respiratory care procedures.
5. Makes regular rounds and administers respiratory care modalities to assigned patients. Observes and evaluates patients' conditions, progress, and responses to treatment. Collaboratively contributes to care plan accordingly.
6. Completes necessary documentation of all pertinent observations related to patient care, treatment administered, patient's response to treatment, and reports to Respiratory Care Clinical Supervisor and physicians.
7. Participates in education of students, physicians, and staff. Clinically supervises respiratory therapy students in patient areas. Explains and demonstrates respiratory techniques to other members of the care team.
8. Instructs patients and/or family members in respiratory techniques.
9. Attends and participates in internal and external educational meetings and enhance clinical competencies. Participates in daily patient-care reports, staff meetings, and conferences as scheduled. Maintains continuing education related to age-specific care. The individual in this position must demonstrate appropriate knowledge of the principles of growth and development of the adolescent through the geriatric patient. In addition, she/he must possess the ability to assess patient-related data relative to age-specific needs and provide care as described in the department's policies and procedures.
10. Assists in departmental research projects.
11. Maintains continuing education relating to cultural diversity. The individual in this position must demonstrate appropriate knowledge and understanding of the diversity of any patient population to include, but not limited to age, race, religion, ethnicity, ability, income, position, sexual orientation, gender or background.
1. A.S. in Respiratory Therapy.
2. One-year clinical training (or the equivalent).
3. Currently licensed as a Respiratory Therapist by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
4. Registration (RRT) by the N.B.R.C. within six (6) months of hire.
1. B.S. in Respiratory Therapy.
2. Two years of previous critical care experience.
3 ECMO Experience strongly preferred
SKILLS AND ABILITIIES REQUIRED
1. Must possess excellent interpersonal skills to interact with physicians, nurses and other allied health care members.
2. Must possess strong patient assessment skills.
3. Must possess professional and technical skills to act as a staff therapist.
4. Must demonstrate ability to motivate and direct professional and technical staff.
1. Works in patient care environments including intensive care, recovery room, and emergency room. May be exposed to prolonged periods of high temperatures in burn patient rooms. May be required to stand immobile for long periods of time in emergency situations.
2. Frequent exposure to communicable diseases.
3. Frequent exposure to secretions/excretions.
BWH is an Affirmative Action Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, age, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, military service, genetic information, and/or other status protected under law. We will ensure that all individuals with a disability are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.
Registered Nurse - Infusion Center; $15,000 Relocation, $17,500 Sign On, and Retention Bonus eligibleYukon-Kuskokwim Health Corp
Itinerant Physician Assistant/Nurse Practitioner; $15,000 Relocation, $25,000 Sign On, and Retention Bonus EligibleYukon-Kuskokwim Health Corp
Registered Nurse Case Manager/Clinical Diabetes Educator (Non-CDE); $17,500 Sign On , $15,000 Relocation and Retention Bonus EligibleYukon-Kuskokwim Health Corp