Duties and Responsibilities
Grants, Courses & Conferences
- Extensive daily communication and contact with many Clinical and Administrative Departments of BWH, as well as other medical facilities and organizations including the Brigham and Women's Physician Organization (BWPO). This requires routing factual and confidential information and a detailed knowledge of policies and procedures at this institution as the others.
- Maintains schedule for physician(s) including coordinating patient clinics and operating room schedule with all meetings within BWH as well as outside engagements.
- Handles all telephone calls and messages having to do with physician(s) administrative practice, triaging calls, as necessary, to appropriate personnel.
- Ensuring that patient concerns are addressed and followed up by the appropriate personnel within the division. Ensure that most recent data is available and has been examined by physician(s).
- Composing routine correspondence to patients and physicians; extracting basic information from patient records.
- Performs all other duties, related to physician(s) administrative practice at Brigham and Women's Hospital, Faulkner Hospital, Foxboro Health Care Center, and the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, as they arise.
- Type all medical and administrative correspondence, medical staff notes, memoranda, minutes, reports and schedules. Composes, proofreads, and edits as necessary.
- Works as a team member with all staff in the department to ensure smooth operation of the department, including participation in staff or faculty meetings, taking minutes, preparing agendas, and even coverage of other surgeons when necessary.
- Performs all other duties as assigned, including all generally accepted office functions such as faxing, filing, photocopying, completion of forms and routine mailings as required.
Assists operations manager and billing manager with all events and items regarding physician(s) including mailings, calling, event planning, fund raising, etc.
- Assists operations manager and billing manager with maintaining and monitoring appropriate payment and account maintenance. Follow-up on problem accounts (PO's, packing slips, check requests, travel vouchers, practice accounts, research and special events).
- Review and resolves all billing inquiries and issues for physician(s) practice under the guidance of the Practice Coordinator and/or Billing Manager. This may includes physician(s) rejection report, credit balance report, and TES edits.
- Mails out copies of patient visit notes, pathology reports, radiology results, etc to all referring and coordinating physicians according to HIPPA and Division guidelines for physician(s).
- Assists in the preparation, editing, and submission.
- Assists in the editing, transcription, and preparation for publications of various presentation manuscripts, abstracts, reviews, chapters, slides and technical publications following specific guidelines as set by publishers.
- Planning meetings and conferences, which may also require tracking of budgets or the ability to compose minutes.
Skills/ Abilities/ Competencies Required
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience preferred.
- Prior administrative experience in a clinical operations setting (preferably within surgery).
- 3+ years experience with patient access and delivery systems, referrals and authorizations, billing functions and procedures, and/or financial analysis strongly preferred.
- Excellent computer skills: proficiency with Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel; insurance approval process; and clinical service billing.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Knowledge of Medical Terminology is preferred.
- Computer knowledge required: Windows, Networking, MS Outlook, MS Word and MS Excel.
- Ability to prioritize work and meet deadlines, and work under pressure.
- Ability to use discretion in confidential matters.
- Ability to read, write and articulate in English is required.
Brigham and Women's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.