reviewing, analyzing, and interpreting the university's collective bargaining agreements engaging in employee and labor relations-related efforts, and assisting the associate vice president with Discrimination, Harassment and Retaliation (DHR) investigations.
Academic Personnel & Employment Services Manager
Job No: 523199
Work Type: Management (MPP)
Location: Maritime Academy
Working Title: Academic Personnel and Employment Services Manager
Classification Title: Administrator I
Department Name: Human Resources, Safety and Risk Management
Time Base: Full-time
Pay Plan: 12 month
Bargaining Unit: M80 (Management/MPP)
Employment Type: MPP - this position is part of the California State University Management Personnel Plan (MPP). No tenure or permanent status can be achieved within the MPP.
Salary Range: Hiring salary is anticipated at $7,500 - $8,334 per month commensurate with education and experience.
Benefits: Premium benefit package includes outstanding health, dental and vision plans; life and disability insurances; pension (CalPERS); tuition fee waiver; and 14 paid holidays per year. See our benefits website for additional information.
Application Deadline: Open until filled. A review of applications will begin Tuesday, January 10, 2023 and the review period may end at any time thereafter.
With general direction from the Assistant Director, Human Resources, the Academic Personnel and Employment Services Manager (AESM) provides management of and leadership for the Human Resources (HR) Employment Services (ES) team with responsibility for all California State University Maritime Academy (Cal Maritime) faculty, staff and management employment programs and services.
In addition to overall responsibility for the ES team, the AESM personally performs academic personnel analyses and processes employee transactions. The AESM is responsible for subject matter collaboration and participation in the development of the university's Peoplesoft and PageUp systems.
The AESM also participates in and collaborates with the Human Resources leadership team in:
The AESM provides in-depth analysis, interpretation, and implementation of new and existing policies and advises on the implications of new or revised policies for the university. Negotiates and resolves unique HR-related issues, including faculty.
The AESM leads staff in introducing new services or modifying existing practices and services to meet changes in the HR and faculty environment. Counsels, and advises university employees on the full range of HR and faculty issues, including conflict resolution, recruitment/outreach, diversity, equity, staffing configurations, contract interpretation, classifications, etc. About California State University Maritime Academy:
Established in 1929, California State University Maritime Academy, a campus of the California State University, is the only degree-granting maritime academy on the West Coast. Located on the scenic Vallejo waterfront, the campus serves a student population of approximately 1000 undergraduates and 50 graduate students.
Cal Maritime offers seven baccalaureate degrees in Business Administration, Global Studies and Maritime Affairs, Facilities Engineering Technology, Marine Engineering Technology, Mechanical Engineering, Marine Transportation and Oceanography. The undergraduate curriculum includes licensing programs for future merchant marine, coast guard and naval reserve officers. Cal Maritime also offers a Master of Science in Transportation and Engineering Management degree, as well as a number of extended learning programs and courses.Major Responsibilities
Recruitment - Manages the recruitment and selection process; develops and updates position descriptions; creates job announcements and recruitment strategies and oversees the placement of advertising; and provides direction to hiring managers and selection committees to assure that the selection process is consistent and compliant with federal and state law and California State University (CSU) and Cal Maritime policies, collective bargaining agreements, and best practices. Reviews applications for minimum qualifications, develops interview questions, and checks references as requested or appropriate. Makes job offers and negotiates starting salaries. Coordinates pre-employment background checks, physicals, and drug screens. Meets with new hires for orientation and onboarding.
Compensation & Classification - Develops, implements, and maintains best practices for classification and compensation programs. Serves as a consultative resource to management and employees regarding compensation and classification matters. Performs classification analysis of new or vacant positions, conducts management or employee-requested position reviews (reclassifications and in-class progressions) and reviews requests for salary increases (in-range progressions). Effectively employs a variety of professional methods as appropriate including document review; collection and analysis of internal and external classification and salary data; interviews with incumbents and supervisors; and desk audits. Formulates findings and prepares report with recommendations for the Assistant Director and/or AVP, HR's approval.
Employment - Reviews and processes Requests for Personnel Action (RPA). Generates, monitors, and distributes appointment and pay rate change letters. Coordinates the transmission, distribution and routing of all faculty employment transactions and documentation in the university's systems. Organizes and reviews incoming faculty, teaching associate and graduate assistant transactions for policy and contract compliance; employment letter preparation and distribution; data entry maintenance and file maintenance. Assists in collection and review of faculty-related data and preparation of distributed reports related to entitlement, range elevation and 3-year contract status. Provides consultative assistance to school deans and department chairs concerning contract interpretation including lecturer order of assignment and entitlement. The AESM ensures that Cal Maritime faculty, staff and management employment and additional employment practices adhere to federal and state law, California State University (CSU) and Cal Maritime policies and collective bargaining agreement (CBA) provisions. The AESM is responsible for the technical management of the tenure track recruitment process in CHRS Recruiting, including related training, inquiries and/or issues. The AESM also provides consultative assistance to Academic Affairs and other divisions, assisting divisions and Cal Maritime's Budget Director in budget forecasting and analysis.
Employee Relations - Serves as a point of contact for managers, employees and union representatives regarding employment issues such as collective bargaining agreement, policy, and employment law interpretation, supervisory issues, employee conduct, discipline processes, performance evaluations, etc.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion - Designs HR processes and practices that encourage and support diversity in the workplace. Trains hiring managers and HR members on how to select, manage, evaluate, and retain a diverse workforce. Reviews selection criteria to verify objectivity and relevance. Measures and forecasts diversity employment metrics. Ensures compliance with federal, state, CSU and Cal Maritime laws, regulations, and policies with respect to diversity and equity in hiring, employment, compensation, and retention.
DHR - As a member of the HR leadership team, the AESM assists with investigation of complaints initiated by employees and students of employee misconduct, discrimination, harassment, and retaliation and prepares reports as requested or appropriate. Makes determinations and recommends appropriate follow up action.
Human Resources Information Systems/Peoplesoft/PageUp - Participates in ongoing development, improvement, implementation, and utilization of the university's HR information systems, including Peoplesoft and PageUp to efficiently perform Cal Maritime employment processes. Utilizes the university's systems to create positions, enter and update new hires and to perform other employment actions; maintains database, writes query reports, and participates in testing and upgrades. Uses the Payroll Information Management System (PIMS) to create reports, review employee pay history information and research and resolve issues. Uses Campus Information Retrieval System (CIRS) to review and run campus and systemwide employment reports. Prepares a variety of PeopleSoft and CIRS reports.
Additional Duties - Participates in union Meet and Confer meetings as requested or appropriate. Gathers information, prepares and processes reports for the campus, the Chancellors' Office, and outside agencies. Participates on Cal Maritime committees and task forces and performs. Other HR generalist duties, as assigned. Required Qualifications:
Special Conditions: Physical, Mental and Environmental Conditions:
- Bachelor's degree in human resources management, business, public administration, or a related field and at least 7 years progressively responsible experience in employment or related human resources programs.
- Possesses strong analytical skills to conduct analysis and develop recommendations, demonstrating organization and problem-solving skills. Proven ability to provide expert, in-depth analysis, advice, and solutions pertaining to all academic personnel policies, practices, and actions. Demonstrated expertise in managerial and administrative practices and principles, with strong management, delegation, and supervisory experience. Strong demonstrated analytical skills with the ability to resolve various complex issues, define problems, interpret trends, identify various options to resolve multi-faceted problems, and independently develop and implement solutions.
- Thorough knowledge of organizational policies and procedures, knowledge of the functional areas, and understanding of how work may affect other areas. Extensive organizational, analysis and decision-making skills to continually prioritize between long and short-term needs, tolerate rapid shifts in direction with competing demands from various sources, keep track of ongoing projects and tasks simultaneously and meet multiple concurrent deadlines. In-depth knowledge of various policies and procedures governing academic, staff, and student personnel and the applicable administrative processes.
- Thorough knowledge of human resources concepts, policies and procedures, employment practices, labor relations, salary administration, training, and other areas of human resources. Extensive experience and demonstrated expertise in Human Resources Management, including but not limited to: employee and labor relations, compensation, classification, performance, employee development, recruitment, and diversity and outreach programs.
- Demonstrated working knowledge and experience in the effective use of human resources information systems and other related business applications, programs, and systems.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of federal and state equal opportunity/affirmative action policies, laws, and related compliance requirements regarding discrimination, harassment, and discrimination.
- Excellent negotiation skills. Demonstrated counseling techniques with the ability to act as a facilitator, exercise diplomacy, tact, professionalism, responsiveness, a high degree of flexibility, and solve concerns between individuals fairly and equitably.
- Demonstrated ability to apply/interpret organization policies and procedures.
- Skilled in communicating clearly and effectively verbally and in writing. Ability to communicate and to compose informative, unambiguous, professional, strategic, and compelling correspondence for a wide variety of personnel issues.
- Demonstrated ability to handle very difficult or volatile situations/individuals effectively. Proven success and ability to provide appropriate administrative and disciplinary actions to manage policy compliance.
- Demonstrated analytical, active listening, and critical thinking skills. Demonstrated expertise and ability to collect and analyze data, interpret policies and procedures, and apply them to routine, unique, and complex situations. Expertise in developing innovative approaches, techniques, and procedures to provide more efficient and responsive services.
Involves mainly sitting; walking and standing is minimal; involves lifting lightweight objects limited to 15 pounds.Background Check:
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.Mandated Reporter:
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 revised July 21, 2017, as a condition of employment.Eligibility to Work:
Applicants must provide proof of U.S. citizenship or authorization to work in the United States within three days of the date of hire.Title IX:
Please view the Notice of Non-Discrimination on the Basis of Gender or Sex and Contact Information for Title IX Coordinator at: https://www2.calstate.edu/titleixEEO Statement:
Cal Maritime is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. The university subscribes to all state and federal regulations and prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity/gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic information, medical condition, covered veteran status, or any other protected status. Reasonable Accommodations will be provided to applicants with qualifying disabilities who self-disclose by contacting the Benefits Coordinator at (707) 654-1146.Application Procedure:
Click "APPLY NOW" to complete the Cal Maritime Online Employment Application and attach the following documents: cover letter and resume. Disclaimer:
The provisions of this job bulletin do not constitute an expressed or implied contract and any provisions contained may be modified or changed.To apply, visit https://careers.pageuppeople.com/873/ma/en-us/job/523199/academic-personnel-employment-services-manager
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
This job has expired.