Job Description: Content Manager
KOKI-TV/Fox 23 and Cox Media Group are searching for an experienced journalist who has the drive, energy and passion to work as the station's Content Manager for our 5- hour long morning newscasts.
The successful candidate will execute the station's strategic plan on all platforms, utilizing research to oversee content and coverage on our TV, radio, digital, and social media platforms.
The Content Manager will identify the value of a story for our audiences and prioritize the execution on the platform that reaches the largest audience at that time.
This person will be a strong leader who will manage, motivate and inspire a team to win the big story and dominate breaking news and in-depth coverage.
They will work closely with other managers, producers, anchors, reporters and all team members to mobilize resources and manage the enrichment of content to provide the most compelling consumer experience.
The Content Manager will be a show-doctor who works closely with the TV news producers to create compelling newscasts that growing ratings and share.
The position reports to the News Director. This is a full-time, salaried position and has direct reports.
If you are a person who loves to lead, is deeply passionate about journalism, knows how to execute research, and inspire others to do the same, this job is for you.
What we look for
- Directly manages (digital, and logistical staff) content producers and provides regular feedback and check-ins, annual performance reviews, scheduling, assists with hiring and other personnel matters.
- Works with the news digital team to coordinate daily digital news coverage, working continually with other news managers for multiple-screen show experiences.
- Uses metrics, (ratings) and social listening to find, pitch and produce unique content and story angles.
- Assigns daily stories and updates to content producers.
- Coordinates and leads the digital content team efforts in daily content, original digital content and special projects focused on media rich, interactive digital experiences.
- Focuses on accuracy and balance in digital, broadcast and social content through copy editing and training of staff.
- Holds morning team check-in meetings to establish assignments and workflow shift-to-shift.
- Makes editorial decisions based on social listening, digital data and live metrics.
- Champions original, digital-first content production.
- Aggressively covers breaking news for digital/social platforms through breaking news alerts, live streams, social posts and digital articles.
- Works closely with the news digital team to make sure everyone understands all assignments and content being produced for all platforms.
- Works with the digital producers, newscast producers, content producers, multi-skilled journalists, photojournalists, reporters and anchors to create a multiple platform, 360 storytelling experiences.
- Trains editorial team in best digital and social practices to create engaging content that is specific to platforms.
- Assists with story planning and logistics to produce digital first, engaging storytelling through articles, videos, photo galleries, social media, push alerts, live streams and interactive elements.
This job has expired.
- Minimum 8 years managing, producing and showcasing digital and social content in a newsroom
- Minimum 3 years' experience in a leadership position
- Skilled copy editor
- Understanding of copyright law, music rights and basic journalism legal principles
- Well versed in online metrics such as Google Analytics, Chartbeat, CrowdTangle, Facebook Insights, YouTube Analytics, etc.
- Working knowledge of Content Management Systems, Basic HTML, live stream technology and social media algorithms such as Facebook
- BS/BA in related field - journalism, communications, broadcast
- Ability to work overnights and be on call nights and weekends